FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems w/ Digital Cinema Desktop Preview, Print to Tape on Mac Mini

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie Adams
Problems w/ Digital Cinema Desktop Preview, Print to Tape on Mac Mini
on Mar 24, 2012 at 11:13:02 pm

I know Mac Mini isn't the best post system, so you can hold those remarks...

Here's my problem -- and I can't seem to figure this one out.

I have a Mac Mini 2011 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8gb RAM, 500GB 7200 HDD. Connected via Mini Display I have a 24" 1080p LED Monitor. Connected via HDMI I have a 32" Sony Bravia 1080p TV.

For a while I had the issue of NO files displaying correctly with Digital Cinema Desktop Preview. No matter what options I had selected, the TV and Monitor would only display the current frame. When playing back on the timeline, both screens would go black. Once playback was stopped, both screens would display the current frame. Audio played as normal.

I trashed preferences, repaired permissions, and restarted computer.

This fixed part of the problem. Now my current problem exists as such:

Playback Output under A/V Settings is DIGITAL CINEMA DESKTOP PREVIEW - FULL SCREEN with MIRROR ON DESKTOP checked.
All Frames is selected.

Here are my results with various types of media. Each clip has it's own sequence with matching settings to avoid any rendering issues.

1920x1080, 24p, H.264 -- Plays on TV fine, but still frame on Monitor.
1280x720, 60p, H.264 -- Plays back on Monitor fine, TV is black screen. Upon "Refresh AV Devices", still frames on both TV and Monitor, audio only. Updates to current frame when playback is stopped.
1280x720, 30p, H.264 -- Same issue as 60p.
640x480, 30p, H.264 -- Same issue as first one, 1920x1080 24p.

Any ideas of what is going on here? Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Problems w/ Digital Cinema Desktop Preview, Print to Tape on Mac Mini
on Mar 24, 2012 at 11:48:33 pm

Are you new to FCP?

I ask because you seem unaware that h.264 is not an editing codec you should be using in FCP, and because I suspect you may not know how how to properly start a project from scratch in FCP using the proper Easy Setup.

Rather than addressing all the various flavors of h.264 you've tried, what is your camera original, and what is your final destination for your work product?

You will have to transcode your material to a proper editing codec, and to guide you in the right direction it's important to know where you're coming from and where you going. Does that make sense?

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Eddie Adams
on Mar 25, 2012 at 12:25:16 am

Hi David - thanks for your reply. Yes, you are 100% right, I should not have been editing in H.264, and I realized after making this post that that was the cause of my issue. Converting the footage to Pro Res 422 solved all my issues. Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 25, 2012 at 4:00:11 pm

You're a fast study Eddie. :)

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]