FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere to FCP or AE, Color grading not visible

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Jackson
Premiere to FCP or AE, Color grading not visible
on Mar 24, 2012 at 5:20:50 am

So, I've edited my project in Final Cut Pro, then sent it to Premiere to do the color grading. Now, when I send it from Premiere to After Effects or back to FCP, none of the color grading is visible :/

I did a test sequence to test this workflow, last week, and it worked just fine, I can't figure out what I'm doing different/wrong?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Premiere to FCP or AE, Color grading not visible
on Mar 24, 2012 at 1:58:01 pm

What are you sending from PP, to FC an XML?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Doug Jackson
on Mar 24, 2012 at 5:20:00 pm

Yes from PP to FCP I'm sending an XML and w/in AE I'm opening up the PP project itself. Either way, no color.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 24, 2012 at 6:06:08 pm

The workflow you're describing should not work in theory Doug, so I'm not surprised that it doesn't work in reality. And, I'm really shocked that it worked when you tested it earlier, or that, at the very least, you seemed to think it worked.

The most important question for you is, how exactly are you expecting the color corrections from Premiere to show up back in FCP?

I suspect your answer to the above would most likely indicate that you might not have a complete understanding of filters and XML, and the way they work, or don't work, in concert with one another.

Simply stated, though XML does in fact carry embedded information about filters, the vast majority, if not all, of the filters from FCP will not show up or work in Premiere, and Premiere filters will not show up or work in FCP. For your workflow to actually work, the filters would in fact have to be identical and interchangeable between apps and between suites of apps.

Does this make sense?

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Doug Jackson
on Mar 24, 2012 at 6:43:29 pm

Hey I appreciate the response and yes, what you're saying makes sense. I don't have that much experience with XMLs but I realize that now, that the program you're sending it to needs to have the same filters or the effects won't carry over. So going from PP to FCP via an XML, WON'T carry over the color grading I applied, and the reason that doesn't work, makes sense to me now.

But what doesn't make sense, is why those effects aren't showing up going from PP to AE, I thought those two programs worked in concert and everything should cross over?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 24, 2012 at 7:59:00 pm

[Doug Jackson] "what doesn't make sense, is why those effects aren't showing up going from PP to AE, I thought those two programs worked in concert and everything should cross over? "

Correct! In theory, Adobe Dynamic Linking should handle that quite seamlessly.

The question is, are you using XML directly for this, or are you using dynamic linking, which is similar, but different?

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 25, 2012 at 2:32:39 am

PP and FC can understand each easily on edits because both are TC based, but they can't understand each others about effects or animations because they use a very different language on this.
Why you didn't tried Apple Color?
rafael

Return to posts index

Doug Jackson
on Mar 25, 2012 at 6:38:12 pm

I'm just not a big fan of Apple Color, and I was wanting to give Premiere a chance, especially since it's set-up to easily go from Premiere to After Effects.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 25, 2012 at 7:16:37 pm

[Doug Jackson] "I'm just not a big fan of Apple Color, and I was wanting to give Premiere a chance, especially since it's set-up to easily go from Premiere to After Effects.
"

Really? You're talking to two users, Rafael and yours truly, who love it, and who will sorely miss it when it's no longer truly useful sometime in the near future.

Why is it you're not a big fan?

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

Doug Jackson
on Mar 25, 2012 at 7:33:52 pm

I've used it for several projects and I think it just came down to lack of familiarity and never really growing fond of the interface. But most of my reasons for wanting to color in Premiere were so that I could quickly go to AE and do my titles/finishing touches.

Return to posts index

Doug Jackson
on Mar 25, 2012 at 6:36:44 pm

From within AE I've done "Import>Adobe Premiere Pro Project" All of the clips are broken up individually into different layers, which I like, but no color grading. If I do the Adobe Dynamic Link, then yes the color grading shows up but they're not all still broken up into separate clips anymore, it's just one big sequence. Which, makes it difficult considering each shot needs different things done to it in AE.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 25, 2012 at 10:37:25 pm

You will have to bake in CC the same as any process before sending back to another system.

Return to posts index

Doug Jackson
on Mar 25, 2012 at 10:42:21 pm

Alright so how do I do that? How do I make sure that the CC from Premiere shows up in After Effects?

As it is, the only way it does show up, is when I Import>File

If I do Adobe Dynamic Link or Import>Adobe Premiere Pro Project, the CC isn't there...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 26, 2012 at 3:48:01 am

I wish i could help you on this, but I haven't jumped to PP yet (probably I'll go there when for any reason I won't be able to work in FC/Color anymore).
I really do not know how the Dynamic Link works, but have you tried going to AE and back to PP again?
If that works like the "Send to Motion", the filters should reappear in PP.
I think you should ask in the PP forum.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]