FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timeline questions for music videos

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Patrinellis
Timeline questions for music videos
on Mar 22, 2012 at 9:53:24 pm

This is my first post and I'm sure this has been covered in part or in whole somewhere on here but I cannot find it, so...

I just made the move from iMovie 11' to FCP 7.

I have been working on kayaking videos for about a year now and was getting pretty savvy with iMovie but I quickly realized its limitations.

So here is my first question: What do I do about my timeline?

There are options for 24fps, 29.97fps, 30fps, 59.94 and 60fps. What do I use? What difference does it make? The kayaking videos I have been making are all shot on either a GoPro HD at 720(60fps) or on a Canon 7D at 720 and 60fps. So, I assumed I would edit on a 60fps timeline. My only issue is I use a lot of slow motion.

Now my second question: How do I get the cleanest slow motion?

I was able to create some cool stuff by conforming my 60fps clips to 30 fps and playing them on a 30 fps timeline, but the "real time" motion looks feathers and blurred.

So I've settled with 60fps and not reducing speed below 60%. But what are the other timeline options for? Will the video look more like film if I edit on a 24fps timeline? What difference does 59.94fps make over 60fps?

I know that was a convoluted questions but any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Timeline questions for music videos
on Mar 23, 2012 at 12:17:05 am

[Daniel Patrinellis] "I just made the move from iMovie 11' to FCP 7."

You might consider using FCP-X...it's closer to what you are used to using. And does a lot of technical things so you don't have to worry about them.

[Daniel Patrinellis] "There are options for 24fps, 29.97fps, 30fps, 59.94 and 60fps. What do I use?"

What did you shoot? If you shot 23.98, you use 23.98. If you shot 29.97, you use 29.97. But don't really worry about that...if you convert your footage and then drop a clip into the timeline, FCP sets it up for you, automatically.

[Daniel Patrinellis] " What difference does it make? "

If you shot 29.97, but edited in 23.98, your footage would stutter oddly. Same if you use 23.98 footage in a 29.97 timeline...it'd look wrong.

[Daniel Patrinellis] "The kayaking videos I have been making are all shot on either a GoPro HD at 720(60fps) or on a Canon 7D at 720 and 60fps. So, I assumed I would edit on a 60fps timeline. My only issue is I use a lot of slow motion."

Ahhh...if you shot 60fps with plans for using it as slow motion, then you need to edit on a timeline with a lower FPS...like 23.98 or 29.97. If you slow 60fps down on a 60fps timeline...it won't be smooth.

[Daniel Patrinellis] "Now my second question: How do I get the cleanest slow motion?"

This tutorial explains how:

SMOOTH SLOW MOTION FROM 60P USING CINEMA TOOLS
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/slow-motion_cinema-tools/1

Convert your footage to ProRes first...duplicate the clips (unless you want them to ONLY be slow motion), then conform to 29.97 or 23.98. WHICH of those to use? Well, 23.98 is the speed of feature films, 29.97 is what broadcast TV is. Do you want it to be smooth like sports, or have the film cadence?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]