FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP offline workflow from DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Scott
FCP offline workflow from DVD
on Mar 22, 2012 at 8:06:58 pm

Hi everyone! I am new here, and appreciate any help you guys can send my way!

So I received dvds with burned in timecode footage. I am doing the cuts on my end, and sending them over so they can do the high rez there.

My assumption would be to use mpeg streamclip, capture to proxy/LT prores, and cut away. And they would just use the burned in timecode to match back up.

But somehow I feel that is a bit too easy.. I am missing a step somewhere or going about the process completely wrong.. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP offline workflow from DVD
on Mar 23, 2012 at 1:02:23 am

Yeah...that's lacking one VITAL part of the equation. You need to MODIFY the timecode of the clips to match that of the burn in. If you don't do that, your EDL, or media managed project file won't match at all. And you'll force whoever does the online to manually, by eye, write down the timecode numbers. And this will make the online VERY costly, and people will hate your guts.

When you change the TC...spot check the entire file in 5 min intervals, to make sure that TC didn't slip. Because we had one project where the DVDs were compliations, and the burned in TC jumped all over the place. We had to break the large file into several small ones, and reimport, modify the TC and then start editing.

Oh...rip to DV/NTSC. ProRes is to large a file size.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ian Scott
on Mar 23, 2012 at 1:40:52 am

Shane, thank you so much. you saved a lot of headache. Such a simple change, but so vital! Again, thank you!

Return to posts index

Ian Scott
on Mar 23, 2012 at 11:13:05 pm

Hi Shane, sorry, I was playing around with it, and ripping to prores proxy is considerably smaller filesize(3gb) then apple dv/dvcpro(8gb). I tried steamclips rip to DV but the footage is 23.98, and that option only allows 29.97, so the timecode slipped.

Is there a reason I shouldn't use proxy to offline edit? Thank you for the help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 23, 2012 at 11:25:04 pm

The footage is 23.98? And came on a DVD? What is the master going to be? Is this HD source?

Go with Proxy then. But know that your dimensions of 720x486 is smaller than HD dimensions, so any graphics or stills you add will need to be redone when you online.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ian Scott
on Mar 23, 2012 at 11:35:55 pm

Yup, not sure why it's not 29.97. But this stuff that I NEED to rip from dvd is behind the scenes, with an HD source. I also received green screen footage on a dvd but its file based, so I pulled that off fine. its mp4 with h.264 encode, however. Those files are 1280x720. The master is going to end up being graphic based I believe, with the footage embedded in it with aftereffects. I also have a HDCAM source, same deal with the mp4. So basically I am the middle man in a bit over my head on this one.

Could I pull the BTS stuff with 720p scaler on it so that its the same as the green screen footage?

Return to posts index

Ian Scott
on Mar 23, 2012 at 11:51:55 pm

Sorry, couldn't find an edit button! To clarify the situation - another company has the HD footage. I am doing offline assistant editing basically, pulling the good takes to fit into the after effects project, then the people with the HD footage will fill in with the high res footage. Obviously modifying the timecode was the most important, but now I have the resolution/etc to take into consideration. Am I over complicating the situation ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]