FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Log and Transfer Faster than Recompress?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tommy Bunnz
Is Log and Transfer Faster than Recompress?
on Mar 22, 2012 at 4:57:27 pm

This happens to be the best forum on the planet by the way! I was instructed that the best way to transcode H.264 media was to use the Media Manager in FCP and recompress files using Apple Pro Res 422. This however would take up to 14 Hours depending on the workload. Typically about 6-8 hours for 32GB of media and so on.

However, I watched the tapeless workflow tutorial and has it changed my life... I downloaded the Canon E1 plug in and have been logging and transferring my media onto my external. I would think it would take just as long. I did leave out a few clips, but I started at 830 this AM and I'm pretty much already transferred. I figure if I was to add those extra 3-4 clips it still would have been an extra hour or 2, but that cuts the time drastically from 6-8 hours...

Is there any reason why this process is or seems faster?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Is Log and Transfer Faster than Recompress?
on Mar 22, 2012 at 7:01:30 pm

Not sure about the underlying technology for that...but one thing might be related to REEL number and TIMECODE. Your H.264 files lack those, and that might throw FCP for a loop. Without those, FCP cannot transcode and only do small portions...it will only do full clips. But with Log and Trasnfer, the folder your footage is stored in becomes the REEL, and the MVI file provides the timecode...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]