FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconnecting media for sync-sound clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Long
Reconnecting media for sync-sound clips
on Mar 22, 2012 at 2:05:53 am

Hey, so I shot a pretty simple sync-sound movie and loaded all of the footage on to one external hard drive and have been editing directly from there. I've synced up all my sound and image files in Final Cut, but have realized that I would rather edit from my newer faster hard drive. I've moved the scratch folder for the project to the new drive that I will be using as my scratch disk, and want to connect my media in FCP to those files.

My concern is that once I make switch, all of the syncing I did will be undone and I'll have to re-sync all of the audio files. Is there some simple solution that I'm missing or do I not need to be worried at all?

Thanks, hope the question makes sense, and sorry if this has been answered before.

--Ben Long

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Reconnecting media for sync-sound clips
on Mar 22, 2012 at 9:15:25 am

You can reconnect in FCP after moving clips, but follow the rules:
NEVER EVER rename or alter the source files, and keep the relative pathnames.
If you need to reconnect, you then only have to point FCP to one clip (it will ask for it), and it will find the rest by itself.

If you're afraid of this (and with the media management of FCP i can understand that), media manage your current project to your new drive.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Ben Long
Re: Reconnecting media for sync-sound clips
on Mar 22, 2012 at 3:56:26 pm

Hey Bouke, thanks for the reply. So just to clarify, any alterations I made to the clips on the old hard drive (ie; linking separate video and audio files) will be preserved on the new drive? I'll make a copy of the project just to be safe.

Thanks again.

--Ben Long

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]