FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do i 'de-anomorphise' footage in FCP 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Toby
How do i 'de-anomorphise' footage in FCP 7?
on Mar 21, 2012 at 11:16:34 pm

Hi guys,

I have a clip that was shot on a 5D 16:9, but it was given to me squeezed to 4:3 "to preserve quality". (The shooter says: I did shoot HD Pro Res 422 : 16 x 9. I believe it was transferred ‘anamorphic’, that is ‘squashed’ to 4:3, which now needs to be de-‘anamorphised’ for the edit. This is done in order to maintain the highest quality/ information.

I've been told i need to "de-anomorphise", ie unstretch the footage in FCP, but am not sure how to do so.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Amy

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: How do i 'de-anomorphise' footage in FCP 7?
on Mar 21, 2012 at 11:37:43 pm

If I'm understanding your question correctly, in the FCP Browser scroll to the right and look for a column labeled Anamorphic. Click it (it's a checkbox, even though it doesn't look like one) for the footage you're trying to return to 16:9 and it should then display in proper aspect.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 21, 2012 at 11:53:31 pm

The 5D shoots 1920 x 1080 H264. So the shooter didn't shoot ProRes. What exactly has been delivered to you? If ProRes what is the frame size and what are the sequence settings you are using to cut the footage.

HD cameras can use anamorphic techniques in codecs like HDV or DVCProHD. If so then FCP automatically scales them in a 16:9 HD sequence

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:05:30 am

Yeah...if that camera guy shot with the 5D, and provided you with an anamorphic HD file...they did something REALLY wrong.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Amy Toby
on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:37:18 am

Hi Michael, yeah i know the 5D doesnt shoot Pro Res, i think the shooter im working with is a bit of an a-hole. I was meant to receive a drive of Pro Res 422 clips for the edit, instead i received one 32GB file of all the clips combined, squashed to 4:3. I did what jeff suggested though and now the footage looks right (16:9)

I have 5 shooters material to work with. all shot at 1920 x 1080 on either 5Ds & 60Ds and one GoPro. Can you advise what the best sequence settings should be?

Thanks for the help guys.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:43:25 am

1920 x 1080 ProRes 422 is the best sequence and codec to convert to. Watch Shane Ross's excellent tutorial on tapeless workflow in FCP7.

Return to posts index

Amy Toby
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:47:03 am

thanks michael, appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Amy Toby
on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:33:05 am

Thanks Jeff, that seems to have worked!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]