FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scaling problems with footage when viewed on a television.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bauman
Scaling problems with footage when viewed on a television.
on Mar 21, 2012 at 3:44:33 am

Ok, so I created a video that has powerpoint slides interspersed throughout. Made the powerpoints into videos, compressed them to match my video footage in Compressor using the XDCAM HD 1080p30 setting.

From looking at the dvd I've created on my computer, it of course comes out fine for the most part, but the footage and especially the powerpoints are so clearly not scaled properly when I watch the dvd movie on a standard dvd player. The video in its entirety is compressed into Mpeg4 format, from it's original HD settings.

So is the reality that I will have to go back and resize all the powerpoints, reconvert them into video and try and scale everything into the "title safe" area in my viewing window in final cut? Or is there a way I can, for lack of knowledge of a better term, "crop" the entire video in compressor somehow so that when it is outputted to DVD, it is at least in a widescreen format that allows everything to show up clearly?

I researched FCP project settings a bit, but can't figure out how to change the settings of the whole project without having to render everything all over again, basically having to redo most of my post production work. Hard lesson to learn.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Scaling problems with footage when viewed on a television.
on Mar 21, 2012 at 1:50:53 pm

When you say the video isn't scaled properly, I understand you're talking about the PPT's. But exacly what isn't being scaled right? I mean do they scale differently than the standard video files do? They stretch oddly or get cropped or?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Mar 21, 2012 at 5:06:00 pm

If they look correct in your HD video aspect wise, then, when you compress for DVD-SD (720x480) MPEG2, they will look correct then too.
Mpeg4 is NOT DVD compliant BTW.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

David Bauman
on Mar 21, 2012 at 5:27:18 pm

To Jerry, yes, sorry for my lack of clarity. The video gets cropped so places I thought were title safe, are not, so captions will be cut off here and there, parts of words in the powerpoint of course, and parts of the footage which I thought were all lined up properly in fc, have parts cropped out that I didn't see when I played the video on my computer, but noticed once I watched it on a television.

Chris, I will try as you suggested.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:02:44 am

In the FCP canvas, turn on the title safe overlay. Always make some allowance for critical text or info to be masked by CRT monitors. Most Plasmas or LCDs should be capable of displaying full raster but always plan for some potential cut-off.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]