Video Shift when play video vs. stoppped video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Herz
Video Shift when play video vs. stoppped video
on Mar 21, 2012 at 1:54:48 am

I am editing in FCP 7.0.3
I am having the following issue:

I imported video shot on a Panasonic GH2 and a Sony Z7 and am attempting to combine the footage. I created a Sequence with settings HDV 1080i60 to match the Sony Z7 footage. The Sony Z7 footage is 1440 x 1080 HDV 1080i60...and the Panasonic GH2 footage is 1920 x 1080 Apple Pro Res 422. When I placed the footage from the GH2 on the timeline, it was yellow and needed to be rendered, whcih I did. The issue is that when I play the video and then stop it, the still frame and the moving video appear considerably different...appearing brighter and a bit over-exposed when the video is playing and a bit darker when the video is stopped. The same thing happens to the Sony Z7 footage when I set up the sequence to match the GH2 footage, which is Pro Res 422.
My main concern is that when I do color correction or any image manipulation in edit, the footage is obviously stopped and I adjust to the freeze frame image...but when I play the video, as mentioned above, it appears brighter. I'm not sure how to adjust correctly when the video and freeze frame change.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Dan

Dan Herz
danherzproductions.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Video Shift when play video vs. stoppped video
on Mar 21, 2012 at 5:58:00 am

You did it backwards. You need to use a ProRes timeline

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Herz
on Mar 21, 2012 at 7:19:32 am

I tried that...and the HDV footage from the Sony Z7 had the same issue.

Dan Herz
danherzproductions.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 21, 2012 at 8:27:51 am

[Dan Herz] "I created a Sequence with settings HDV 1080i60 to match the Sony Z7 footage. The Sony Z7 footage is 1440 x 1080 HDV 1080i60...and the Panasonic GH2 footage is 1920 x 1080 Apple Pro Res 422."
Start by setting your sequence as 1920x1080 prores.

[Dan Herz] " The issue is that when I play the video and then stop it, the still frame and the moving video appear considerably different...appearing brighter and a bit over-exposed when the video is playing and a bit darker when the video is stopped. "
When the video is playing the computer is doing what he can to give you the best, but may be dropping frames or lowering the quality. That depends of your system and on the FCs RT setting.
When the video is stopped and you have FC set to play with full quality and the canvas size 100%, you get the real thing in the window.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Dan Herz
on Mar 21, 2012 at 2:07:20 pm

How do I change the RT settings to play back in full quality?

Dan Herz
danherzproductions.com

Return to posts index

Dan Herz
on Apr 1, 2012 at 6:52:28 pm

Rafael,
I tried your suggestion of creating a sequence as 1920x1080 prores...still having same issue.
Can you walk me thorough steps to set FCP to play with full quality and the canvas size 100%...not exactly sure how to do this.

FYI...I am editing on a MacBook Pro...so not the ,ost powerful computer, but has worked without this issue for years. I am guessing that the issue has something to do with the mixed formats.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dan Herz
danherzproductions.com

Return to posts index

Dan Herz
on Apr 1, 2012 at 6:55:51 pm

One new thing I just noticed is that when I play the video unrendered (render color is yellow) I do not have the issue...but after I render, I do have the issue mentioned earlier...weird.

Dan Herz
danherzproductions.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 1, 2012 at 7:07:08 pm

You really should take a few mins. to study the following brief tutorial, which will show you how to start projects properly every time. If you follow the instructions every time you start a new FCP project you will never encounter the type of issue you're dealing with.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/biscardi_walter/realtime_sequences....

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Dan Herz
on Apr 1, 2012 at 8:04:52 pm

Thanks, wil do.

In the meantime, any suggestions to fix current problem?

Dan Herz
danherzproductions.com

Return to posts index

Dan Herz
on Apr 4, 2012 at 3:31:11 pm

Thanks David,
I did watch the video you suggested. It was a good reminder for me, but in this case, the timeline was set up correctly. The video shift referenced in earlier posts seems to only happen when I use FCP color corrector or Magic Bullet on the clip...the raw clips play fine.
any ideas? I really need to solve this.
Thanks

Dan Herz
danherzproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]