FORUMS: list search recent posts

I have a Macbook Pro and a MacPro. Can I connect them and use the macbook's memory on the MacPro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Boone
I have a Macbook Pro and a MacPro. Can I connect them and use the macbook's memory on the MacPro?
on Mar 20, 2012 at 8:00:29 pm

My MacPro is too slow and I need more memory. I know I've heard that its possible. But I want to connect my macbook, so I can use its ram additionally to the ram already inside my MacPro, giving me more memory and faster computer.

how hard?

thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: I have a Macbook Pro and a MacPro. Can I connect them and use the macbook's memory on the MacPro?
on Mar 20, 2012 at 8:08:18 pm

How much memory is on the Mac Pro? The maximum FCP Legacy (i.e. NOT FCPX or iMovie Pro) can use is 4 gigs.

Now, there are OTHER applications you can put on a Mac Pro that will indeed speed up with more memory. But if you have 6-8 gigs, you'll gain no more FCP speed. Just don't be runnin' a whole bunch of applications: stick to FCP only.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: I have a Macbook Pro and a MacPro. Can I connect them and use the macbook's memory on the MacPro?
on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:44:05 pm

Qmaster can access processors on networked computers to help with file rendering. If you are IT savy and have the computers networked via ethernet then read up on setting Qmaster which will help with Compressor. Wireless or bluetooth are not fast enough to use for this sort of task

As Dave says it won't do anything for FCP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]