FORUMS: list search recent posts

Garageband's "quantize note timing" equivelant for FCP7? So.. it would adjust clip speed with note timing..

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Boone
Garageband's "quantize note timing" equivelant for FCP7? So.. it would adjust clip speed with note timing..
on Mar 20, 2012 at 5:31:49 am

Yeah, so I know in garageband you can add note timing so that the notes are adjusted to line up with quarter notes or whatever you pick. In theory I should be able to do the same thing with video right? And whatever time adjustments are made to the timing of the music would be applied to the video as well?

That would be ridiculously awesome.. Please tell me it exists.

I've got the Adobe Production CS5.5 suite as well, but at this point in my current project it would be too much of a hassle to move things around. If its not possible in FCS2 though, and it is in Adobe, I can do this for next time.

thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Garageband's "quantize note timing" equivelant for FCP7? So.. it would adjust clip speed with note timing..
on Mar 20, 2012 at 7:43:54 am

Well the video equivalent of BPM is frame rate and video has one "note", the frame so it always "quantises" the frame boundary to the frame rate.

So what other attributes of a video file do you wish to time manipulate to what source tempo? NLEs do not know time signatures of audio files or have any means to recognise images within a file that may correspond to beats in music so I am not sure what you want but I suspect it is impossible.

Return to posts index

Paul Boone
Re: Garageband's "quantize note timing" equivelant for FCP7? So.. it would adjust clip speed with note timing..
on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:51:32 am

Beats per minute, is just like frame rate. you get a bar, and you can choose how many notes or frames you want in it

I'm talking about "quantize note timing", in which.. I'll use it in the example of what I'm trying to do now. On garageband, record my guitar along to the corresponding track. When I'm done, because I'm not a perfect musician, there are will be notes that are not on beat. "Quantize Note Timing" is an pulldown menu in the edit track window. Lets say i was playing 4-4 time (4 quarter notes); so my notes are not on the quarter notes where they should be, so i set "quantize note timing" to kind of magnetically put the notes where they should be.

So in Final Cut Studio I've made a music video, but the musicians were not always on beat (wayy better than me though). If there was like a behavior in motion or FCP that analyzed the waveforms and moved a keyframe with the beat, where it should go, therefore the time % would be altered on the left and right side of that keyframe, usually slightly. it puts keyframes from one frame in your footage to a totally different frame magnetically

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:50:18 pm

I understand how quantizing works in MIDI sequencers. I used sequencers over 25 years ago and I have been playing drums since I was five.

What you are asking for is a degree of recognition of waveforms to beats plus analysis of video to varispeed video. Varispeeding video looks pretty ordinary and hardly natural. You can't varispeed the audio so not surprisingly no-one has or is likely to develop expensive software to do what you are suggesting.

I have been involved with many music videos from playback to producer/ director. Nothing beats rehearsal and the ability to accurately sync along to playback.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]