FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit Suite Furniture in Australia

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Kemp
Edit Suite Furniture in Australia
on Mar 20, 2012 at 4:13:09 am

Hey Guys,

Firstly, sorry if this has been answered already but i cant find anything yet.

I'm an Indi Film maker here in Australia. I am currently building my company up and am in desperate need of some advice from some of you pro's around the world.

I am building an edit suite consisting of the following:

1x Mac Pro 12-core
2x Dell 24" Monitors
1x FSI LM-2461W 10-bit grading monitor
1x Wacom Intuos4
1x Tangant Wave Panal
1x Logic Pro 5.1 Speakers
1x Samsung 32" LED Client Monitor (wall mounted)

But what i need is an edit suite desk that will comfortably suit my edit machine. It seems like all the professional companies like (AKA, Martin & Zelgar, Anthro, Forecast, MidAtlantic) dont have a distributor in Australia and to get them shipped i would be looking at around $6,000 or even more. Which understandable is a little bit to much. I mean i'd happily pay the $2k-$3K for the product itself if i didnt have to pay around $2k+ for shipping etc.

Can anyone give me some advise on some alternatives. Someone mentioned I should just hit up IKEA or something and have a look. Haven't done that yet as I would like to hear from you guys first.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond.

Jack,

Return to posts index

adam taylor
Re: Edit Suite Furniture in Australia
on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:29:11 am

you would probably get something more suitable by paying a local joiner to make you a custom desk.

I did that, and now have a desk with plenty of space and a 3 bay, 4u high monitor shelf. In total i think we paid around £500 - £600 5 years ago.

The legs are hefty 4"x4" timbers, painted. The desk is thick plywood with a veneered top and the monitor rack is veneered MDF. I couldn't find anything that would give me exactly the layout i wanted for the kit i was buying, so designing one myself seemed a good idea...the fact it was much cheaper than factory made was a bonus!

Most of the stuff i need is built in the desk. The Mac and some of the amps and raids are kept in a standard metal rack cabinet in the next room with cables passing through a hole in the wall. This keeps the noise of fans and hdd's down, and lets me have the a/c in the machine room even cooler than the edit suite is. Cables for the keyboard and wacom pass into a hole in the desk directly beneath the keyboard (which is raised on small foam blocks to bring it up level with the wacom).

I've yet to summon up the courage to cut a hole in the top to sit the tangent panel in.

A simple piece of black fabric stapled to the back of the legs hides all the cables and power lines, and makes the whole thing look so much more finished.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 20, 2012 at 2:14:34 pm

Do they not have IKEA in OZ?

Return to posts index

Jack Kemp
on Mar 20, 2012 at 8:06:50 pm

They do have Ikea here. But but the website can be deceptive. Just haven't Gome in and looked in person yet.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:36:30 pm

If budget is a concern and you're not a carpenter, you can still buy components at IKEA and assemble something semi-custom that will look pretty nice. You might get inspiration from the ikeahacker web site, then your "eye" will look a bit wider at unhinted possibilities as you wander the blue and yellow flat-pack Valhalla. There won't be an editing console per-se at Ikea; there will be desk and table and shelving components. But you're already metric in OZ, so you should be able to handle it:-)

Return to posts index

Jack Kemp
on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:39:23 pm

Cheers Bro!

I will have to make a trip up there perhaps. I have put aside $2K for edit suite furniture. Damn its time's like this i wish i was Jesus... well maybe not in his later years... but definitely in his early years. haha

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:43:39 pm

well the one thing you should not scrimp on is the chair.

You're gonna be sat in it a long time, so make sure its got the support you need.

The Hermann Miller Mirra was at the top of my list when speccing the suite, and was worth every penny.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Jack Kemp
on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:48:20 pm

Hey Adam,

Yes you are 100% right. I hate it when you go into an edit suite and they just have a basic office chair... enough to send someone crazy!

I have been looking for a decent chair for a while, Haven't herd the one you have mentioned but ill give it a look.

Thanks for your advice pal. :)

Return to posts index

Jack Kemp
on Mar 29, 2012 at 11:32:02 pm

Hey mate,

Sorry for the late reply. But i absolutely love your desk! and its so cheap! but at the same time looks so expensive and professional!

You have inspired me to go for a look around. I wa going to buy an ikea desk and customize it but they are just not the right dimensions... some would be perfect in length but to short in depth... or visa versa.

Anyway thanks heaps.

Kind Regards,

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Mar 20, 2012 at 11:07:46 pm

These guys look lke they have some options
http://bavasmusic.com.au/store/recording-equipment-studio-rack-furniture-c-...

hopefully they wont make you walk 20 miles around the shop just so you can get to the exit like they do in Ikea

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Jack Kemp
on Mar 20, 2012 at 11:09:24 pm

Oh dont you worry they will. I'll probably leave with a new kitchen that i didnt need too. haha Lucky i dont have a wife or she would be the one to convince me we do need it haha.

Kind regards,

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Mar 20, 2012 at 11:38:59 pm

Not only that but your kitchen will be called something like KROOOB or PLINK

Maybe just stick to Bravas Music then at least you will be tempted by something nice and shiny that does not make tea.

ps the chair advice was very good although if you really want a serious chair then Eames is the way to go but it will cost as much as your desk.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Jack Kemp
on Mar 20, 2012 at 11:42:17 pm

Thanks mate,

Ill go have a look-see.

Kind Regards

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>