FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please give me tips of how to edit footage of a band playing a song in footage, to the song in sequence!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Boone
Please give me tips of how to edit footage of a band playing a song in footage, to the song in sequence!!
on Mar 20, 2012 at 3:29:33 am

PLEASE HELP!

I've never edited a music video in which a band is playing the track, and this is turning into a nightmare.. What's the best way to line up footage of a band playing the track, to the same track in the sequence??

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Please give me tips of how to edit footage of a band playing a song in footage, to the song in sequence!!
on Mar 20, 2012 at 3:52:23 am

Did they play to the playback of a CD? Or did they just play live?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Boone
Re: Please give me tips of how to edit footage of a band playing a song in footage, to the song in sequence!!
on Mar 20, 2012 at 4:29:37 am

Oh, I forget to say that. They're playing to a track from a cd.

They're pretty decent, but they're sometimes off beat which throws me off.

I have to get this done by tomorrow afternoon for a press release, and if its good muchmusic wants to play it. Somehow I've stumbled onto making a music video of a song that's been #1 in the inspirational section of itunes for 10 days (possibly because I work for free and they were desperate to take advantage of their chart position quickly), but I've only worked for a summer camp and a church, and never done something that involved such exact timing.

Needless to say, I'm kind of panicing about blowing an opportunity I probably won't get again for some time, if ever.

Also.. What television standards should I be aware of for something like this? Title safe zones for text I suppose

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 20, 2012 at 5:54:33 pm

[Paul Boone] "They're playing to a track from a cd."

...and is your music in the form of an aiff file with 16 or 24 bits, and at a 48 kHz sample rate?

It's NOT an aiff, and if it's still at 44.1 kHz, which is standard for CD's, it'll give you problems.

And since you give no rundown of the kind of shots you have -- wide cover shot, indivdual shots of soloists, long tight shot throughout on main singer, cutaways to other band members, close ups of fingers & faces, etc. -- it's tough to give tips on how to cut it together.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 20, 2012 at 7:16:51 pm

Turn on visibility for the audio waveforms, first thing. You will be able to see how they match up in each section.

You don't say what footage you have, so I'll base this on how I would have done it.

I would have shot with at least 2 cameras and done at least 3 takes.

The footage I'd have then is:

2 takes wide shot end to end.

2 takes lead singer

2 takes assorted shots of the rest of the band.

In a hurry, this is my flow:

Lay the pre-recorded music down and lock the track.

I would pick a master shot from my two wide takes, and match that up to the pre-recorded track first, listening to both audio sources and trimming one until they don't echo or phase-cancel, which means the audios are synched... then lock that track so it can't accidentally be changed. Mute the audio for that track.

Second, I would pick out all the best closeups of the lead singer for the sections where I want him or her on camera, and lay those down on a second track above the first. I get close first by just matching using the lyrics, plus looking at the spikes in audio from a drum hit, which is very obvious on an audio waveform, I use the audio waveforms for rough alignment, then play the section over and over, adding or subtracting frames or bumping via the [ and ] keys for single-frame adjustments, until the audio doesn't echo or ring. The I turn off that track's audio, lock that track.

Third, I go back to a third track layer and fill in with the rest of the band where and as appropriate.

I delete the unneeded audio tracks, and add any effects and transitions, then mixdown or render out a reference movie. Finish color correction on the reference movie, add titles and slates and etc. as indicated by client.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 20, 2012 at 7:21:18 pm

The other way to go is to set up the multicam feature, roll all the footage live and hit the keyboard keys to select your shots on the fly, as if directing a live-switched feed. I've done it both ways. the more sources I have, the more would pick multicam over hand-layering. You sound very new to this so multicam might be a bit much the first time out on a 24 hour deadline.
Good luck to you.

Return to posts index

Paul Boone
on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:47:43 pm

Thanks for the workflow breakdown. very helpful. Any tricks you can think of, like keyboard shortcuts that are not as well known but really helpful?

thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 21, 2012 at 2:56:19 pm

Nothing comes to mind in the context of this kind of project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]