FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP to AutoDuck to Pro Tools weirdness

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Conrad
FCP to AutoDuck to Pro Tools weirdness
on Mar 20, 2012 at 2:01:25 am

ok... some history.

received the Poly WAV files from the audio dept. Broke them into mono WAV files ( they want this so it preserves the meta data for linking to PT later).

Created quicktime Proxys from the RED files. Merged them to the split audio using timecode and in-points when TC did not match.

Edited project using the merged clips. All 23.976.

when we go to make AAF files for Pro Tools turnover they get a timeline that has all of the correct edit points, but all the audio is slipped. (the AAF is set to reference external audio.)

when i try to bring the AAF back into FCP i am getting this error on import.

The frame rate of the selected sequence preset
was inconsistent with the frame rate of the selected
file.

when i try to relink the media in FCP i get the Attributes have changed message

- Media start and end
- Reel
- Rate

any idea what is going on? I have been working on this all day :(
ken

Return to posts index

Ken Conrad
Re: FCP to AutoDuck to Pro Tools weirdness
on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:03:17 pm

I just noticed that the clips created by the AAF that are imported back into FCP (FCP import) all say their TC starts at 00:00:00:00 and end at whatever the duration of the shot is in the film.

i have the "use entire clip" on the Duck AAF export... this is getting weirder

Return to posts index

Ken Conrad
on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:32:21 pm

ok. another update as to what i have found.... if anyone is following :)

http://kenconrad.com/sibling/ADuckOddness.tiff

Track 1: This is how the clip appears in the timeline from the edit

Track 2: this is the original clip in it's correct time with the handles pulled out ( i know it says Trk2 but it is the same length, size and TC of Trk1)

Track 3: Using Autoduck to make an AAF with Create Externally linked files, entire clip.The in point is where autoduck says it sould be, but the clip starts at 00:00:00:00 rather than 15:11:32:17... it also has no head and a longer tail.

Track 4: Using Autoduck to make an AAF with Link to Existing.. has less on head and tail... TC also starts at 00:00:00:00

this is happening on 2 different FCP machines.

ken

Return to posts index

Ken Conrad
on Mar 20, 2012 at 7:29:36 pm

ok... i fixed the:

The frame rate of the selected sequence preset
was inconsistent with the frame rate of the selected
file.

so that is not a problem any more... User Error :)

has nobody seen this? Is anyone using AutoDuck anymore? Anyone making AAFs?

ken

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:55:33 pm

I have Autoduck but prefer to use OMFs to transfer to Fairlight. FCP has strange behaviours regarding stamping a frame rate on audio material during import which is often reported here.

It may be that your aroginal polywavs did not have timecode or if they did, the values are not being recognised. Wave Agent is fre WIN software from Sound Devices that extracts mono files from polywavs and retains original timecode metadata. The zero code in each file indicates to me that you may have lost tiecode from broadcast wavs during the split but I don't know if you were recording timecode in the first place

Return to posts index

Ken Conrad
on Mar 21, 2012 at 6:26:40 pm

Thanks Michael for you response.

They did record TC and used Lockit boxes to sync up the REDs. We did actually use WaveAgent to split the polys.. FCP is reporting the same TC start on the audio files as protools is if we import the split files directly... but after the AutoDuck process they are all messed up

we tried a FCP OMF but it is coming into ProTools as a 24fps not 23.976... which causes it to drift out of sync.

the weird thing is that we have used Duck on MANY other projects in the past... but this is the first one since Duck went free... so i wonder if something changed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]