FORUMS: list search recent posts

WORKFLOW: Importing from XF300 into FCP 6.0.6 and then compressing for MOBILE content

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sandra Danilovic
WORKFLOW: Importing from XF300 into FCP 6.0.6 and then compressing for MOBILE content
on Mar 19, 2012 at 9:16:07 pm

Hello everyone.

I posted a few weeks ago regarding a video shoot I have where I am filming video interviews (short 30 sec clips) that will be later used for a mobile app (cross-platform, for both Android and iPhone using HTML5).

So now I have new camera specs and I am wondering what resolution to shoot with, frame rate, and how to import into FCP 6.0.6.

I also don't know what the best settings are for FCP 6.0.6.

Here is what I am hoping to do, any advice or critique would help tremendously!!!!

Camera: XF300 Canon with external microphone
In-camera resolution I want to use: 1920 x 1080, 60i

FCP 6.0.6 settings:
I have the XF Plugin for FCP installed.

In the EASY SETUP: I am using Apple ProRes 422 codec as the format

And finally, I will be using Compressor to compress to: whatever you think is best... for HTML 5. The video content will be 30 sec long (each clip) and will have to be embedded into the mobile app, I can't use Vimeo or YouTube.

I DON'T KNOW what compression rates to use for compressing it for mobile content, but some of you did give me some answers early on.

Does this sound good to you? Remotely?

MANY THANKS!!!

Sandra Danilovic
Independent Filmmaker, Toronto, ON
Rodna Films Inc.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: WORKFLOW: Importing from XF300 into FCP 6.0.6 and then compressing for MOBILE content
on Mar 19, 2012 at 9:32:47 pm

DO NOT SHOOT INTERLACED! 1080i60..no no no. Shoot a progressive format. Mobile devices don't do interlacing. Only TVs do. Shoot 1080p24...or 720p24...or 1080p30, or 720p30. A progressive format.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sandra Danilovic
Re: WORKFLOW: Importing from XF300 into FCP 6.0.6 and then compressing for MOBILE content
on Mar 19, 2012 at 10:10:08 pm

THANK YOU SHANE!

Sandra Danilovic
Rodna Films Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Mar 20, 2012 at 3:00:46 am

As Shane said, use Progressive.

I've found with our XF cameras Final Cut is more stable if the footage comes in as ProRes422 instead of the native XDCAM format in which it was recorded. On the log and transfer window there's a gear button where you can go into preferences and change Canon XF to ProRes422. With XF cameras and a web deliver ProRes422 HQ is completely overkill. For more on Log and Transfer Shane Ross made a fantastic tutorial - Google can get you there pretty quickly.

Since the last post you made here about web formats Firefox has announced support for H.264 in future builds, which leaves Opera and Chrome as the oddballs. Convert to Flash for its legacy value and near universal support, then use H.264, and WebM for the HTML5 options.

Frame sizes and bitrates will vary widely based on usage. Beyond desktop versions it would probably be wise to encode a version at no more than 500kbps for mobile users. In 4G and good to mediocre 3G 500kbps won't be a problem, but in low service areas 500kbps could involve some buffering. Encode to H.264 MP4 for Android, iOS, and Windows Phone 7 and 3GP for not-so-smart-phones.

Return to posts index

Sandra Danilovic
on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:42:39 pm

Thank you Jeff, I really appreciate your and Shane's advice.

Sandra Danilovic
Rodna Films Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]