FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble with Quicktime Export and DVD Burn: Pixelated/Artifacted Areas and Interlace Issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Kester
Trouble with Quicktime Export and DVD Burn: Pixelated/Artifacted Areas and Interlace Issues
on Mar 19, 2012 at 6:38:26 pm

My video was shot on a Panasonic DVX. In Final Cut it shows these settings:
Vid Rate: 29.97
Frame Size: 720x480
Compressor: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC
Data Rate: 3.6 MB/sec
Pixel Aspect: NTSC - CCIR 601
Field Dominance: Lower (Even)

When I export to Quicktime with the "Current Settings", the video comes out stretched and has some artifacting (around right ear) and interlace issues (around the mouth). Looks like this:
as_is_no_aspect_correction.jpg

The only way I've been able to get the correct aspect ratio is to export to Quicktime using Custom Settings and changing Frame Size to a 4:3 ratio of 640x480. The rest of the settings are:
Frame Size: 640x480
Aspect Ration: NTSC (4:3)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: NTSC - CCIR 601 / DV (720x480)
Field Dominance: Lower (Even)
Editing Timebase: 29.97
Timecode Rate: Same As Editing Timebase
Compressor: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC
Quality: 100%

But the artifacting and interlacing issues remain. It looks like this:
4x3.jpg

On all my past projects with the DVX, everything looks fine when I export to Quicktime. But I've heard that sometimes videos show up looking weird in Quicktime Player but are corrected when you burn to DVD. The DVD I made still has issues.

How do I get rid of these pixelated areas? Why does my video come out looking stretched when I export iwth Current Settings? Am I downgrading the quality when I change the size settings? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BK

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
Re: Trouble with Quicktime Export and DVD Burn: Pixelated/Artifacted Areas and Interlace Issues
on Mar 19, 2012 at 7:53:11 pm

Is your video supposed to be 16x9 or 4x3 letterboxed?
Are the settings above for your sequence or the source clip?

Click your sequence and then command+0(zero) to check if the anamorphic 16x9 box is checked. You should be able to export a 16x9 720x480 movie without any problems.

I would always recommend editing in a sequence that matches your clip settings. Unless you have changed the preference FC should prompt you for this. If your source clip is supposed to be 16x9 confirm that anamorphic is checked in the anamorphic column. This could also be causing all of your problems.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]