FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Studio 3 and dual Hexa-Cores

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Elliott
Final Cut Studio 3 and dual Hexa-Cores
on Mar 19, 2012 at 3:30:47 pm

We are looking at upgrading four systems in our Post department.

For our workflow at this time FC X is not an option.

We have been told there are some issues with running FCS 3 with dual Hexa-Cores. I haven't found a lot of information on this.

We are leaning towards the HCs because we are undecided as to what editing application we will be using a year from now and would like these to be relevant as long as possible.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Final Cut Studio 3 and dual Hexa-Cores
on Mar 19, 2012 at 4:21:05 pm

FCP7 is EOL and there will be no new enhancements from Apple. If you can afford to do so, it may be wise to maintain your current machines as legacy systems, and get the new Macs for other applications.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Mar 19, 2012 at 6:32:30 pm

I haven't tested extensively yet, but we just bought a dual-hex machine and FCP seems to be running fine.

Like David says though, I wouldn't bother considering FCP7 as your main editing app. Install it for the odd project that HAS to be FCP7 but otherwise I say if you're purchasing NOW go for Avid Media Composer. If it can wait for a few months you might want to see how Adobe CS6 turns out. I personally think CS5.5 is a bit 'all bark, no bite' so to speak, and don't recommend it for critical broadcast/feature work. That's just me though, some people apparently love it (although I don't know any personally).

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.postblue.tv
Post Blue showreel
Latest work: Greyhounds in Motion at 500fps
My Vimeo Pro page

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 19, 2012 at 10:33:45 pm

FCP is old and 32 bit so it is ignoring all those extra cores and extra RAM. The question is if Compressor or Motion can access all cores.

It will take new NLE software to take advantage of all that grunt.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]