FORUMS: list search recent posts

Big Trouble, Final Cut unexpectedly quit and then took me back where I was over 5 hours ago

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Daschner
Big Trouble, Final Cut unexpectedly quit and then took me back where I was over 5 hours ago
on Mar 19, 2012 at 1:28:36 am

I know final cut is supposed to do autosaves constantly so that the user doesn't have to do that. I've been working since about 11 this morning and just had "final cut unexpectedly quit". I thought oh sh*t what just happened, then thought well at least I probably didn't loose much. I was so wrong... it took me back to the place I was at 1:10 in the afternoon.
Anybody have this happen or know of a solution where I can possibly get my files back? I checked in the backup files and this is literally the only backup file there is (from 1:10 today).

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Big Trouble, Final Cut unexpectedly quit and then took me back where I was over 5 hours ago
on Mar 19, 2012 at 9:27:43 am

I assume we are not talking about FCPX here which does have an autosave bug.

I have had this happen to me in FCP7 although it does not happen often.
Everything seems fine and you get a crash and your autosaves either didnt happen at all that session or stopped at some seemingly random point.

I have always put this down to FCP just being, well FCP. I usually trash prefs once this has happened although as far as that being a "scientific" move for this specific error I cant honestly say.

FCP can also get confused about having permission to write autosaves to a specific drive. But this usually returns an error.

In terms of you getting your work back, if there is no autosave and you didnt do something like accidently change the location of your saves (which would be pretty random) then I think sadly you are stuck.

I pretty quickly got into the habit of hitting "Apple S" at fairly regular intervals which has saved me to a degree on some occaisions.

None of which helps you I know - but I feel your pain and you are not alone in this happening.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Big Trouble, Final Cut unexpectedly quit and then took me back where I was over 5 hours ago
on Mar 19, 2012 at 12:00:19 pm

Autosaves are optional and the duration between autosaves is setup in user preferences. Also the maximum number of autosaves is there as well. Check your settings and like Neil I never go more than ten minutes between saves.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]