FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clip names and multiple editors.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Neth
Clip names and multiple editors.
on Mar 17, 2012 at 10:55:19 pm

Hello forum,

I am working for the first time on a project with multiple editors. There are 4 remote editors each with hard drives with the exact same name, files, and file structure for the Scratch Disks; so we can send project files back and forth, view each others projects and have them link to the footage on our own drives.

If I change the name of the clips in the Browser to help me in the editing process, they will still be linked to their original file name in the scratch disk, and will connect automatically with the original file regardless of who I send it to. Is that right? I havn't changed their filename so there shouldnt be a problem should there? Just need a bit of reassurance. If anything needs clarifying just ask, cheers in advance. This forum is special.

Jim.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Clip names and multiple editors.
on Mar 17, 2012 at 11:18:59 pm

Since you are all discreet editors with seperate identical media then there should not be any issues with over writing anything.

As long as none of you change file names at root level then you should be fine.

Just as you can name and rename files in FCP the link to the source file is maintained. So this would hold true on another machine with identical media.

The person who recieves anothers project will likely have to relink media however the files that will be needed to relink will have the original unchanged name so should all be easy to find.

If you are just swapping projects then renders will need to be done again but other than that should be OK

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Jim Neth
on Mar 18, 2012 at 12:12:06 am

Awesome. Thank you for your incredibly quick reply.

Much appreciated,

Jim

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Mar 18, 2012 at 7:36:31 am

I don't disagree with anything Neil says, but my personal preference is to never change the names of any items in the browser. You can use the "description" or "comments" fields instead. I also make a custom column layout so these fields are right next to the clip name.
The reason being: sometimes FCP can totally forget the absolute pathname of an item. If this happens, your only guide for relinking a clip is its item name. If you've changed it to something other then the filename, then you're probably going to have to start digging through old versions of the project, or auto-saves to figure out what the original media was.
This kind of problem happens rarely (although more often with shared projects, in my experience) but I've been burned by it enough to decide to never change an item name.

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Mar 18, 2012 at 4:03:37 pm

I agree 1000% with what Matt just said.

NEVER change the filename in FCP7! Especially in a "shared project" environment. Bad idea!

THe comments column are where your notes should go.

Mark

Return to posts index

Jim Neth
on Mar 18, 2012 at 5:03:27 pm

Ah I appreciate your comments Mark, and Matt. Mark, do you mean never change the clip name in the browser? I would never change the file name especially as it is a shared project with identical drives.

Thanks guys. I think I'l take the safe option and just create more Bins to group footage and , colour code clips, and add notes keeping the names all in tact. Has anyone else had problems when changing clip names?

Cheers,

Jim

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Mar 18, 2012 at 5:19:41 pm

Yes, we mean NEVER change the clip name within the FCP browser! Bad idea.

FCP even has a feature which allows you to change the filename at the finder level from within FCP. This is both a cursing and bless. If you know what you're doing, it can be helpful. In a shared storage/project environment is can create instant chaos!

Add notes in the comments column. Assuming you've used a logical file/clip naming system, leave that alone! You'll be glad you did.

Do you really need additional opinions on this?

Mark

Return to posts index

Jim Neth
on Mar 18, 2012 at 5:59:44 pm

Cheers Mark,

I suppose I was just hoping that changing the clip names would be fine. But i'm glad I've asked as I've learnt, and I'm not prepared to deal with the problems changing the names could cause, for me and for the other editors. The clips were logged systematically but 50 ish hours of footage means there is still a lot of organisation to be done within the project. I've rarely used the comments column, so this will be a good opportunity.

Thank you for your help.

Jim

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Mar 18, 2012 at 6:54:29 pm

[Mark Raudonis] "FCP even has a feature which allows you to change the filename at the finder level from within FCP. This is both a cursing and bless. If you know what you're doing, it can be helpful. In a shared storage/project environment is can create instant chaos!"

100% agree with Mark and the others on this but as I understand it you are not in a shared storage/project environment at all.

You are all on totally seperate machines with seperate copies of the media.

I would not avocate doing this if it was shared media or even opening someones entire modified project expecting it to link to your seperate media wholesale without problem.

However if they send you a project containing just a sequence they have cut - open it as a discrete project - relink to it and once you are happy drag it into your project.

That should be pretty safe as you are never risking what you have done.

I can see I was not clear on what I had written on that and perhaps I misunderstood the environment you were working in.

So apologies for not being as specific as I should have been.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 18, 2012 at 9:44:48 pm

As someone who is always reconnecting projects to media prior to grade and online, I really hate getting a project where file and browser names are different.

Makes reconnect a nightmare when it doesn't just happen without error messages that force me to manually find each file. Lots of ectra work and there is a better alternative as Matt & Mark have explained.

In a non shared environment it would matter less.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]