FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering A Sequence Issue's

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Rizzuto
Rendering A Sequence Issue's
on Mar 17, 2012 at 7:00:53 pm

Hello. Im new to the forums so lease let me know if i break any rules or if this has already been asked(but i already looked). I am trying to export my sequence from fcp 7. All my footage is 1920x1080 23.98 fps compressed with h.264. The Problem is when I'm trying to export it looks terrible. I've also tried exporting with mp4 and still no luck. My A/V settings are set for 23.98 fps h.264 compressor and when i export i tell it to use current settings. It looks horrible with colours that are off and terrible compression. I don't know if this is just h.264 being a bum or i have done something wrong. This video is going to get blown up gather large on a big screen. Any suggestions? Btw i had tried using compressor as well and same results. i am guessing its some stupid thing i did. i am very new to this and don't have a Huge knowledge of codecs and formats but i can keep up. Thanks Tom

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Rendering A Sequence Issue's
on Mar 17, 2012 at 7:50:16 pm

First, welcome to the Cow Tom.

Too bad you're just joining us now, otherwise you would have known for quite some time that h.264 is not an editing codec in FCP. Everything must be transcoded to a realtime FCP editing codec, such as ProRes 422, prior to editing.

Unfortunately, FCP does allow users to cut h.264 on the timeline, thus making you think all is good, when it's not. This has popped up hundreds and hundreds of times, and you would have know that had you been here.

Also unfortunately, your best bet at this point is most likely going to entail transcoding your material and eyeball matching the new video to the edited clips in the timeline.

Good luck, and I hope your project is not long-form?

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Thomas Rizzuto
on Mar 17, 2012 at 8:05:57 pm

Hi david. Thanks for the speedy reply. i think i started realize this as soon as i did some search right after my post. How would you suggest transcode in the future? Use compressor to convert everything to prores422?
Thanks
Tom

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 17, 2012 at 8:52:59 pm

[Thomas Rizzuto] "Hi david. Thanks for the speedy reply. i think i started realize this as soon as i did some search right after my post. How would you suggest transcode in the future? Use compressor to convert everything to prores422?"

Your very welcome Thomas...

Transcoding can be done in Compressor or with MPEG Streamclip (free app), however, most h.264 originates from tapeless media on memory cards, and that material is best imported directly from a copy of the memory card, after copying the entire contents of the card to a hard drive (and to a second drive for protection).

Shane Ross' great tutorial at the following link explains exactly how to accomplish the mission in FCP using Log & Transfer along with the proper plugin from the camera manufacturer: http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]