FORUMS: list search recent posts

Very Slow Render of effects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carlton hathcoat
Very Slow Render of effects
on Mar 16, 2012 at 9:35:38 pm

I just recently purchased a 2.4 GHz 8 core Mac Pro with 6 gig of memory with ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB graphics card and the rendering has suddenly become very slow when I add Quick looks or use FCP filters such as Film grain etc. I am editing 1080 footage shot on a Canon 5D. I used log and transfer to Apple Pro Res 422 (LT) and put on the appropriate timeline. I get a dropped frames warning, slow discs warning when I add simple FCP text. It is taking up to 10 minutes to render :45 seconds of video. This obviously shouldn't be happening. Any ideas, Suggestions? All elements are on the main hard drive too. I am using FCP 7.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Very Slow Render of effects
on Mar 16, 2012 at 9:44:04 pm

Film grain is a pretty render heavy plugin, depending oh the author. Adding grain, hair, scratches...the randomness of the grain, the color, texture. It is a GOOD plugin, it will take a long time. A bad one that cuts corners...not so long. But, that is a render heavy plugin.

as for dropped frames...where is the media stored? on the same drive as your OS and apps? Or another drive? Connected how?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

carlton hathcoat
on Mar 16, 2012 at 10:25:04 pm

All the media is on the desktop . The dropped frames thing is very concerning. I get the dropped frames warning with no filters, just putting FCP basic text on video.

Return to posts index

carlton hathcoat
on Mar 16, 2012 at 10:39:07 pm

even when I save the file it is very slow to save. I feel like I am editing on a G5 again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 16, 2012 at 10:50:13 pm

Media should never be stored on the system drive. It is slow, typically 5400 rpm drives opposed to 7200 rpm needed for media, and it is busy running the OS. You need to put the media on a separate drive.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

carlton hathcoat
on Mar 17, 2012 at 2:56:14 am

Thanks Shane. I thought that the internal drive would be faster than the external G-RAID Drives I have. Do you recommend a good external for editing.

again thanks. You are always very helpful!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 17, 2012 at 12:06:07 pm

You have an external Raid. Use it for the media and set the Render folder there too.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 19, 2012 at 6:12:58 pm

If you have a MacPro...then internal SATA drives will work. I rely on Hitachi Deskstars. But if you only have firewire out, G-Raids, or CalDigit VR...OtherWorldCOmputing has good drives with the Mercury Elite series.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

carlton hathcoat
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:47:11 pm

Thanks again Shane. I still feel like there's something wrong with the new computer. I just had to edit a video I shot on the iPhone. I used only 3 way color corrector, tried to put FCP text and I get the same dropped frames warning. The media was stored on the internal hard drive because it was a family video and I didn't have any plans to edit, but thought I would test it. Is it really possible that a new mac pro can't be fast enough not get dropped frames from an I phone video?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]