FORUMS: list search recent posts

ClipWrap adding "warbles" to DVCProHD encoded footage, but not to ProRes LT

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tad newberry
ClipWrap adding "warbles" to DVCProHD encoded footage, but not to ProRes LT
on Mar 16, 2012 at 4:15:38 pm

I was about to burn a DVD, but then noticed some odd sort of sideways warbling/distortion (can't think of a better way to describe it), on the footage most noticable on camera pans. It looked as if those portions were shot through some sort of dimpled glass. I had used ClipWrap to encode my NX-5 data and went with DVCProHD, though i normally do everything in ProRes. After seeing this anomaly, i guessed it might be the codec that was the problem, so i did a test from ClipWrap encoding one offending clip to ProRes LT. Voila! No more warbles! So re-encoding the whole batch. Have any of you seen something like this before???

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: ClipWrap adding "warbles" to DVCProHD encoded footage, but not to ProRes LT
on Mar 16, 2012 at 4:36:47 pm

No, I only encode to ProRes. Why did you go to DVCPRO HD? It's 8 bit, thin raster...ProRes is 10-bit, full raster.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 16, 2012 at 7:06:21 pm

Hey Shane...ya, i'm pretty much a 99% ProRes guy, just went to DVCProHD as a sort of experiment. This is when it's nice/good to have a repeatable workflow - just do it like normal and all is well. It's all re-encoded now, and the DVDs should look better.

FCS3
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

Colin McFadden
on Mar 16, 2012 at 6:16:02 pm

It's hard to say for sure, but two things spring to mind that might be described as "warbles" - interlacing artifacts, or some sort of moire from downressing. Since dvcpro (assuming your content is 1080) is only 1280x1080 internally, you're scaling your 1920 wide content down to 1280. That could potentially introduce some scaling artifacts.

Additionally, interlaced content being treated as progressive can sometimes look warbly, especially when further downrezzed to SD. It may be that whatever did your dvd encodes didn't tread the dvcprohd content as interlaced properly?

In any case, feel free to shoot us an email at support@divergentmedia.com if you want to dig in further.

-Colin

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 16, 2012 at 7:10:37 pm

Collin,

Thanks for your reply here. I didn't bug your tech support because it wasn't that big of an issue for me...but maybe if it helps someone else that would be dandy. I must say, you and Divergent Media have probably THE best most responsive tech support for ClipWrap. THANK YOU! I NEVER use FCP's Log & Transfer method when converting these NX-5 clips anymore. Too many hassles, AND i can't edit another project using L&T anyway....so ClipWrap is the way to go and i've pointed several people to it over this past year.

Thanks again for a very robust product! I can drag the data folders into it from anywhere and i haven't seen read or write problem yet...EXCEPT now for this pesky DVCProHD thing...which i don't really need anyway.

Take care!

FCS3
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 16, 2012 at 7:18:01 pm

COLIN,

Please pay no attention as to how the previous poster replied to you. He has a head made of bone...and realizes there really is only one "l" in your first name...to which this post attests...

Sorry about that

: (

FCS3
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]