FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which graphic card

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ugo Danesi
Which graphic card
on Mar 15, 2012 at 8:22:23 pm

Dear all,
actually I am working (FCP 7) using two macpro duoa xeon 2.8 16 GB Ram: one with nvidia 8800 (512MB RAM) and the other with ATI radeon HD 2600 (256MB RAM).

If possible I would like to improve the performance in rendering and export.

Many people say that in this case a main role is played by Graphica Card. Is tha true? From my point of view ONE GUP with i.e. 1 G RAM is less powerfull than 8 core with 16 GB RAM.
I have noted thad during rendering or export mosto of the time the 8 cores are sleeping.

Is that possible to force FCP in using all the calculation power of the cores?

Any way which Graphica card coul be a good solution (price/quality) for my mac pro 2008.

Thanks in advance?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Which graphic card
on Mar 15, 2012 at 8:36:22 pm

[Ugo Danesi] "If possible I would like to improve the performance in rendering and export."

Not with FCP...no. Motion, yes. Color, yes. Adobe Premiere Pro...yes. FCP...graphics card doesn't add anything. Oh, it will add more RT to SOME plugins...some rely on GPU. But TWO graphics cards is actually a BAD thing...Color won't work properly, Motion neither. FCP...that doesn't rely on it...won't see much. No benefit, no bad effects. Well, except for those plugins that like GPU..they'll have issues.

[Ugo Danesi] "Is that possible to force FCP in using all the calculation power of the cores?"

Nope! It's a 32 bit app. Only uses one core. The only Final Cut Studio app that can utilize all the cores is Compressor...if you enable QMaster.

[Ugo Danesi] "Any way which Graphica card coul be a good solution (price/quality) for my mac pro 2008."

Yes...if you use Color, Motion, Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro. Not FCP.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]