FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upconvert anamorphic SD - Compressor or something else?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vladimir Novikov
Upconvert anamorphic SD - Compressor or something else?
on Mar 14, 2012 at 9:55:55 pm

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to sell two of our films to the TV, but they ask for an HD (at least 720p, better 1080p or 1080i) version.

We have the files previously digitalized from an anamorphic DigiBeta (uncompressed QT) and from an anamorphic BetaSP (DV25 QT) for DVD release.

I'm in Europe, so the SD footage has been digitalized in PAL and I need to deliver 25p or 50i versions.

So now we can

1) shoot back to tape and use Teranex ($$$$$$$);
2) shoot back to tape and use Aja or BMD card ($$$);
3) use a software up converter.

The first two options are clearly better, but I hardly can justify the cost as the buyer offers a little money. If we go the software way, is Compressor enough or Episode Pro / Sorenson Squeeze /something else can produce a really better results.

So far, I'm tweaking Compressor settings, the first results are good, but not great. The good news is the anamorphic version, so I hope I can have a better results as the footage is already widescreen, but the HD version is less sharp than a SD version.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo Ferlaino
Re: Upconvert anamorphic SD - Compressor or something else?
on Mar 14, 2012 at 10:40:12 pm

I think you will end up with a softer image in any case.
Your best choice would be 720p. In my studio we own an aja and it depends on the original footage. Sometimes I can get better result when upconverting with the aja, often I get the same result by editing the clip in a ProRes 720p sequence and conforming the footage to sequence settings...
But I usually upconvert because I edit documentaries so most archive material is SD while my work is HD: broadcasters here always ask me for the "original" format, so if it's SD I'll give them SD...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Upconvert anamorphic SD - Compressor or something else?
on Mar 15, 2012 at 6:06:08 am

I've tested compressor and episode over and over for down conversion for DVD and have yet to be impressed. I always get immensely better results by using After Effects to do the downscale to SD ProRes. Then send that to compressor to make the mpeg2.

For upscaling I would definitely give After Effects the job if you have to use software. I might even try FCP X. It has a better render engine than FCP and it translates fields and pulldown correctly in my tests. Although you won't be needing any pulldown. If your SD project is progressive, then Compressor will probably do a fine job. It's really when compressor has to scale and deal with fields that I find the results lacking.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved