FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need a great broadcast monitor for my FCP setup - suggestions for monitor and cards welcome

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Martin
I need a great broadcast monitor for my FCP setup - suggestions for monitor and cards welcome
on Mar 14, 2012 at 5:33:53 pm

I'm compressing video to MPEG for SD spots that are being broadcasted. I need a monitor to check the color and QC on a CRT. I also want to show the client the spots on an SD CRT, and have a monitor so there are no surprises!

I'm occasional submitting spots for broadcast in HD too, so IDEALLY I'd like to buy a monitor that can do both. I've looked into the Sony PVM 14L5 Monitor and similar, but I'm still trying to feel out which is the best route to take.

Can anyone suggest a versatile, small sized broadcast quality monitor that I can hook to my MacPro tower? I've worked with Blackmagic hardware in the past, but I really want to know what basic video card can I use to output an sd/hd signal from my machine? I'm not trying to spend over 3k here, it's a small operation, I've worked on the the 6k panas and I know they look great, but I need something more affordable.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: I need a great broadcast monitor for my FCP setup - suggestions for monitor and cards welcome
on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:46:37 pm

Get the Sony PVM-14L5 if you can. I have it and it's great! Perfect for SD and HD. You'll only find them used...that's long discontinued.

Decklink cards are your cheapest best...and they are decent. Tech support is...OK. I like AJA hardware because it is rock solid, and tech support is top notch. But, BMD (decklink) cards work fine.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
Re: I need a great broadcast monitor for my FCP setup - suggestions for monitor and cards welcome
on Mar 14, 2012 at 11:35:50 pm

JVC makes some nice monitors. AJA's video cards (and the software that goes with them) are the best. I've had to switch to BMD for DaVinci use but would switch back in an instant if AJA were ever supported again...

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
on Mar 15, 2012 at 2:31:11 am

"I'm occasional submitting spots for broadcast in HD too, so IDEALLY I'd like to buy a monitor that can do both. "

The PVM-14L5 is a 4:3 CRT, so you'd be watching your HD image letterboxed on a 14" screen. That's not an ideal size for checking images on. Can't imagine, for example, that you'd spot dead pixels with that screen.
But if all you want is to see your HD (as well as your SD) footage on a CRT, then it might do. In other words, consider WHAT you want the monitor for...

(I reckon a small CRT is better than no CRT. Ideal if you have a large flat screen running as well.)

Cheers,
Neil.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Mar 15, 2012 at 4:06:21 am

We're putting these in all of our On-line rooms to replace the aging CRTs. Using a Kona 3 to feed 'em.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-monitors/cat-oledmonitors/product-PVM2541/

I think they look great!

mark

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 15, 2012 at 4:11:57 am

YOu didn't get FSI monitors? with built in scopes? for CHEAPER than that model?

You missed out.

:)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Mar 15, 2012 at 6:19:36 am

It isn't always about price, Shane. Have you seen the Sony PVM -2541?

This is truly the first affordable flat panel that compares to the old CRT's.

The image is really superb!

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]