FORUMS: list search recent posts

native h.264 from 7D and FCP7 workflow suggestion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Ordiner
native h.264 from 7D and FCP7 workflow suggestion
on Mar 14, 2012 at 8:59:05 am

I've got a little question of "non correct" workflow with mov (h264) files from 7D.

A my friend is working on a non profit film that was shot in 7D.
For now he has totalized 500 GB of native h264 files.
I perfectly know that the right way to edit this is convert all material in ProRes format and non problem appears...
But... He want to be able to do a rough cut with native files for obtain a fast and save-space idea of his work.

We try to put directly into timeline the original material and all works great, except for the edit point. There's a little freeze in preview before FCP jump to other clip.

After this rough cut, a completely new cut will made with ProRes conformed files, and the project will be send to another guy with apple Color

the solutions I've planned are:
* convert all at this point. But this is very time and HDD space expensive
* apply a 1frame transition to every edit point of h264 material, so I force a render just in the edit point
* try to use FCPX. Perhaps it works on native files, but the workflow with apple Color scares me.

He has a MacBook pro 13" 2011 (i5 4GB RAM)

Any idea or suggestions?
Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: native h.264 from 7D and FCP7 workflow suggestion
on Mar 14, 2012 at 1:29:25 pm

I think the thing to do is use FCP X, then keeping the project relatively simple, and within the guidelines of the Xto7 app, port it to FCP 7, then on to Color. Render in the Background, so the h.264 you've used become ProRes during the process. Seems to me this is the way to go...

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog:

Current DVD:

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Alex Ordiner
Re: native h.264 from 7D and FCP7 workflow suggestion
on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:57:57 pm

Thanks Jerry.

I try with your method.
If xto7 works well, I do not see other problems...
(I just have to persuade my friend to use FCPX)

It's unbelievable that Apple doesn't implement a built-in method to translate from FCP7 to FCPX and back...

So, thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved