FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prores to Prores FCP 7 text pixelating.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Layton
Prores to Prores FCP 7 text pixelating.
on Mar 13, 2012 at 7:54:34 pm

I am using FCP 7 and never normally have a problem. However, I'm now cutting a reel for a company and have been given clips of multiple formats. I've converted them all to ProRes 422 in Compressor and imported them into the project. When i open them in the Viewer in FCP they play fine and look great. Some of them have text on them already and it looks good. I then drop them into the timeline in the sequence and when they come up in the Canvas the text is quite blocky and pixelated. I know this is normal as it's only a low res place, but when i export the finished edit using current settings to create a master file, still in ProRes 422, the text is still blocky compared to it's original form. I can't figure it out. It's rendered and everything else is normal. The sequence settings are also ProRes so there should be no problem. It seems that the problem is occuring somewhere between the Viewer>Timeline>Canvas.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: Prores to Prores FCP 7 text pixelating.
on Mar 13, 2012 at 9:18:58 pm

What are your sequence settings and your media settings?

Return to posts index

James Layton
on Mar 13, 2012 at 10:05:24 pm

When you say "media settings" do you mean the export settings afterwards or the prores settings of the imported files before editing?

-------------------------------
Camera and Steadicam operator
http://www.jameslayton.co.uk

Return to posts index

James Layton
on Mar 13, 2012 at 10:16:30 pm

These are my sequence settings:

1920x1080 HDTV 1080i (16:9)
Square
Compressor: Prores 422 100%
48khz
16 bit

Return to posts index

James Layton
on Mar 13, 2012 at 10:22:41 pm

These are my sequence settings:

1920x1080 HDTV 1080i (16:9)
Square
Compressor: Prores 422 100%
48khz
16 bit

Render 10 bit material in high presicion YUV

The item properties on the the clip in the browser are:

25fps
1024x576 (could this be the issue? - if so, how can i fix it?)
Prores 422
Square

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 13, 2012 at 9:49:15 pm

And how do these clips look in your external video monitor?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James Layton
on Mar 13, 2012 at 10:18:36 pm

I haven't looked on an external monitor as i'm on a laptop without one to hand. However, the reel is to be web-based and the file before entering the timeline looks perfect on the macbook.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 13, 2012 at 10:28:00 pm

Change the sequence settings' field order from upper field first to None. See how it looks then.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James Layton
on Mar 13, 2012 at 10:36:49 pm

Do you mean the 'field dominance' setting? If so, it is already set to none and is greyed out so i can't do anything to it.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:30:13 pm

The clips are SD PAL. The timeline you are cutting in is HD 23.98.

The files should have been converted to 720 x 576 anamorphic 25fps ProRes422 and edited in in a matching timeline.

Return to posts index

James Layton
on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:41:55 pm

Ah, that would make sense. It's just the one clip that's like that. The others are all HD 25fps. I redo that one and see if that fixes it. Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

James Layton
on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:59:08 pm

Ah, that would make sense. It's just the one clip that's like that. The others are all HD. Could you recommend the best way to edit the clips together? Can you have it so that these types can be mixed without the quality loss or would the only way be to down res the whole lot to 576?

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:34:51 pm

Lacking a broadcast target and heading to web I'd say your sequence settings should match the media.
Right now your sequence is set for 1080 HD in America, Japan, or other NTSC countries. Your media is widescreen PAL (Europe, Austrlia, etc) that has been conformed to square pixels.

Because you're working with mismatched frame rates (24fps timeline, 25fps media) it's probably best to start with a new timeline. When you drag the first clip down to the new timeline pick YES. That will make your sequence settings match the media.

If you intend to make a DVD/Blu/broadcast delivery for use in NTSC countries you'll need to convert the 25fps into 23.976 or 29.97.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 14, 2012 at 4:55:36 am

Not sure what you actually have but you need to chose a frame rate and frame size based on the majority of your material. Anything else should be converted to that frame rate and frame size in Compressor rather than let FCP scale or do frame rate conversions which it is quite poor at. Also timelines with mixed frame rates are going to drive you mad with constant rendering or possible crashing.

If the 25 fps material is not speed sensitive - music or up front interview dialog, you might just want to slow it to 23.98 rather than doing a conversion that maintains real time. So set Compressor to change speed and reset the frame rate whilst it is scaling up. Use frame controls and set resize to best. It will take a while but it will look best, particularly if it has text

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:03:27 am

Wouldn't you just instantly conform it to 23.98 in cinema tools? Make a duplicate backup first!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:04:23 am

I would assume the pixelating is because it's being blown up 200% in the HD sequence.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]