FCP Studio 7 and iMac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yiannis Valkan
FCP Studio 7 and iMac
on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:09:33 am

Hi all!

I want to ask a question.
I want to do editing and graphics in FCP Studio 7. NOT X.
I also want to use Motion, Photoshop, After Effects all in HD
and ProRes.

Now my question, Unfortunately I cannot afford to buy a MacPro.
Can I do all these stuff with an iMac?
Will I have any problems with rendering, scabbing or even Compressor?
Any known issues?

And if so, which one do you suggest? i5 or i7?

Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP Studio 7 and iMac
on Mar 13, 2012 at 2:28:21 pm

[Yiannis Valkan] "Can I do all these stuff with an iMac?"

Absolutely. The software doen't ONLY work on a MacPro. Works on pretty much every mac. The only issues for some apps like Motion and Color is the graphics card...they require beefy ones. Well, Motion works fine without a beefy one, but better with a beefy one.

[Yiannis Valkan] "Will I have any problems with rendering, scabbing or even Compressor?"

Nope.

[Yiannis Valkan] "Any known issues?"

Nope.

[Yiannis Valkan] "And if so, which one do you suggest? i5 or i7?"

i7 is faster...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rich Nobile
on Mar 16, 2012 at 2:58:49 am

Hey Shane! You give me hope. Tell me what you think: I just bought the new iMac 27" and it would not allow me to install FCP 6. I tracked down FCP 7 online and bought the suite it comes in for a price that is half of what I payed for the Mac. Was I crazy to spend that much for the software? Did I do the right thing? Will FCP 7 really run on OS X 10.7.2 without any problems and was it worth purchasing? Bottom line is that I need absolute assurance because I could return the expensive software if it is unopened and get my money back. Also, did you read the guy's entry that after some "black magic" he was able to install FCP 6 which is what I was trying to do to save money. Help me validate my purchase by saying that having FCP 7 over 6 is a huge plus and that because the industry is only using FCP 7 and hates FCP X I did the right thing.

Thanks,

Rich Nobile

Return to posts index

Andrew Stuckey
on Mar 13, 2012 at 3:00:59 pm

[Yiannis Valkan] "Any known issues?"
If you're thinking of getting a second hand or refurb 2010 model, you should realise that the i5 and i7 models lack jumbo frame ethernet support and no Thunderbolt.

But if you're not going to be using a NAS or gigabit ethernet then the 2010 models are still fine. Note also that Firewire 800 is the fastest i/o port which might struggle with multiple streams of uncompressed HD video. I would highly recommend getting one with the optional internal SSD so you can use this as your media drive for good throughput rates.

Otherwise just spend a little more and get the 2011 i7 with jumbo frame support and Thunderbolt! :)

Return to posts index

Yiannis Valkan
on Mar 13, 2012 at 5:32:24 pm

Thank you both for your answers!!!
Of course I mean the latest iMac.
I wanna check when the new 2012 will come to the stores
so maybe I'll take that one.

Thanks again!!!

2 minds are better than one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>