FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hi Quality DVD from FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Franklin
Hi Quality DVD from FCP
on Mar 12, 2012 at 6:29:47 pm

I have read many posts about creating a high quality DVD from FCP. Many say to go through Compressor and then DVD Studio Pro. My experience of DVD Studio Pro is that it also compresses the file. Can I avoid further compression in DVDSP or is it best to use another burning software?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Hi Quality DVD from FCP
on Mar 12, 2012 at 7:37:25 pm

I recently tried using Compressor, Episode and Encore to resize and encode a 1920x1080 ProRes HQ quicktime to an anamorphic SD .m2v file to see if there were any differences.
(didnt try DVDSP direct)

I used a 7mbs cbr setting on all three and used them to resize and encode in one operation using the same parameters on each.

Not totally scientific I know but as close as I could do.

The results actually looked pretty similar on pictures although Episode was slightly noisy in the blacks. However on text, credits and name supers Compressor easily had the best quality with the other 2 having badly aliased edges.

So on this very basic test Compressor seemed to have the edge. My guess is it handled the resize better than the other two.

So I would use the high quality setting in Compressor (assuming that gives you enough encoding time)

You will not need further compression in DVDSP as the m2v files and audio files can be directly imported.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Rich Franklin
on Mar 12, 2012 at 11:17:48 pm

Thank you Neil.

So is your workflow Timeline>Compressor(.m2v)>DVDSP or do you create a .mov and create the .m2v from that in Compressor?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 13, 2012 at 4:08:17 am

Yes....always use Compressor. DVDSP uses QT's encoding engine plus you get more control over different settings with Compressor.

BTW....In the world of professional DVD production, Compressor is considered a joke. There are free encoding tools which do a better job with a little skill

Return to posts index

spiros giann
on Jul 6, 2012 at 9:05:08 am

can you please tell me your exact parameters in compressor cause i have a problem.my project is 150 minutes and i burn it to a dl dvd but the quality is poor especially when people move fast

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]