Final Cut and still images for projection

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Smith
Final Cut and still images for projection
on Mar 12, 2012 at 3:24:32 pm

Greetings,

I'm hoping someone is kind enough to help me with this:

I'm going to project a sequence of still images (almost like a slideshow) that I want to cut as a sequence in Final Cut first. I've scanned some images at 600dpi, treated them in photoshop (resizing, colors, etc.) and have imported them into Final Cut. When I've created a test sequence and exported (as TIFF sequence or Animation codec) it plays choppily in Quicktime. Is there a better workflow I'm missing here? My machine is an 8-core Mac Pro so I doubt it's the hardware. My sequence settings are TIFF compressor and I've been playing around with various canvas sizes - 1280x720 and even 1920x1080. It's going to be projected onto a large surface so the higher the resolution the better.

Any help'd be appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Final Cut and still images for projection
on Mar 12, 2012 at 3:56:40 pm

How is this going to be played back. From your laptop with QuickTime?

Return to posts index

Paul Smith
on Mar 12, 2012 at 4:00:59 pm

Hi Bret,

It's going to be played back with whatever machine will play it back smoothly - whether it means a laptop or a monster mac. But it's entirely made up of stills that are being scanned. The reason I've been reluctant to go with 300dpi scans is because they have to be blown-up/resized.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 12, 2012 at 4:53:56 pm

Ok. You mentioned the animation codec and the tiff codec. The latter I've never even HEARD of someone using. That's a still image codec, no? And animation is old school codec reserved for file transfer and intermediate rendering when you need something lossless, cross platform, or with alpha. Largely replaced by prores 4444 now, unless you're going cross platform.

I'd use the easy setups. Make a 1080p30 ProRes 422 sequence. Edit. Render. Then export or use compressor to create a 65-75% quality h264 QuickTime file. Fairly standard stuff.

Your stills in FCP are limited to 4000x4000 image size. Dpi is meaningless to FCP and ignored. People tend to make the files 72dpi in ps, but I've found it doesn't matter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]