FORUMS: list search recent posts

.MOD files, converted to .dv, look horrible on DVD player

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katie Nemmer
.MOD files, converted to .dv, look horrible on DVD player
on Mar 12, 2012 at 1:38:14 am

I hope someone can help me resolve this issue because I'm not sure what to do...

I was given some footage to put together a basketball video. A majority of the footage was in .MOD format which I had never heard of before. I used VisualHub to convert the files to .dv. After that, everything worked fine in Final Cut Pro. Problem solved... or so I thought.

I finished the video, exported to Quicktime Movie with the default NTSC DV settings. I then burned a dvd using Apple's iDVD. Everything was fine and dandy, it played fine on my computer. Well, today I tested it on a dvd player hooked up to a TV. All of the footage that was converted from .MOD looks horrible. It's choppy, and looks as if its echoed, like there's a problem with the frame rate or compression, or interlacing, I'm not sure what. It's the worst on action footage, which unfortunately there's a lot of.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot so far:
- I hooked up a TV monitor to my Mac Pro to see how it looked on there straight from FCP, it looks fine.
- I played the exported quicktime movie from my mac to the TV, looks fine.
- I played the dvd on my Mac Pro, video output to the TV, looks fine.
- I hooked up a dvd player to the TV, tried it with both RCA and HDMI connections, looks horrible.

So, I'm not sure what to do next. Is it the conversion to .dv? Is it the compression from iDVD? It's very annoying that I can only see the issue after it's on DVD.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. If you need any more info let me know. Thanks.

FCP v5.1.4, Sequence Settings: 720x480 NTSC DV (3:2) defaults, iDVD v6 default settings
(I know, both are dated)
VisualHub v1.3.4 - DV NTSC "Ready for Final Cut" settings

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
Re: .MOD files, converted to .dv, look horrible on DVD player
on Mar 12, 2012 at 4:19:00 am

Sounds like a field order mismatch. Try putting a shift fields filter on the video in FCP, re-export and check it again.

Return to posts index

Katie Nemmer
on Mar 12, 2012 at 7:43:41 pm

That did the trick! Does it matter if the shift direction is +1 or -1? I tried both, and I didn't notice much of a difference.

Thanks for your help, and for your quick response!

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Mar 12, 2012 at 7:55:36 pm

[Katie Nemmer] "Does it matter if the shift direction is +1 or -1?"

Nope, either direction is fine. Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]