FORUMS: list search recent posts

Super 16mm - To MiniDV (Offline) - To HD Selects - Workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Boris Riabov
Super 16mm - To MiniDV (Offline) - To HD Selects - Workflow
on Mar 12, 2012 at 12:38:48 am

Hello Everyone,

I've been scouring this site to ensure proper workflow - and I wanted to post what I've done and several questions I have before I picture-lock my film, hand it off to my sound designer, and take the negative back to the lab to transfer selects.

I intend to transfer my film to 23.98 FPS to Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) or 444 on either HD CAM or HD CAM SR.

My Workflow:

- I shot about eleven thousand feet of Super 16mm and had it transferred to eight mini-DV tapes.
- I received .ale files from the lab via email.
- I imported the .ale into Cinema Tools - created database - renamed clips with identical slate markers (ex. 7A-1, 7A-1, into 7AA-1, 7-AM-1)
2nd Letter = Shooting Month (A = April, M = March)
- Cinema Tools: Exported XML
- FCP: Imported XML
- FCP: Batch Captured Clips @ 29.97 (NDF, NTSC 48Khz)
- Cinema Tools: Connected 29.97 Clips
- Cinema Tools Database & DV Tape: Ensured Each Clip Timecode + Window Burn Matched Up
- Cinema Tools: Reverse Telecine For Only 1st Clip (Check For Accuracy)
*Original: One Field W/ Field 2 Dominance
*New: Field 2 Only (A, B, C, D, D, To A, B, C, D)
*New Clip
- Cinema Tools: Batch Reverse Telecine
*2 Folders = Original, Rev. Clips
- FCP: Made Original 29.97 Clips Offline, Reconnected 23.98 Rev. Clips
- FCP: Easy Setup: "23.98 From Cinema Tools"
- FCP: Synchronize With Cinema Tools

I have several questions for you guys...

- Following the reverse telecine my reverse telecine clips did not get the .rev extension added to them (as in when you are doing it clip by clip). Would this be problematic or is fine with them being in two different folders (original, reverse) with identical names?
- When I do Connect Clip it doesn't do it to all the clips and for many it says "File Missing. Do you want to reconnect it?" Do I have to connect each clip individually, as Cinema Tools isn't letting me connect to all even when I open the entire folder.
- Does the TC Rate for Reverse Telecine Clips stay the same? 30NDF? It's what the database tells me under "Identify." "Analysis" tells me the reversed clips are in fact 23.98 DV/DVCPRO - NTSC.
- I did not sync audio (recorded independently) with the original captured clips before I did the reverse telecine; I did read that some recommend doing so first in FCP through the merge-clip function - export, etc. Should I do so before doing the reverse telecine?
- I am synching audio now in FCP with the 23.98 and the audio seems to be slightly off; I know I should slow it down by .1% correct?
- When I play the 23.98 clips in FCP, the ones with motion appear to have interlacing? Should I redo the telecine and click off "Standard Upper/Lower?"
- When I give the OMF to my sound designer will the final sound mix sync up with my HD selects timeline which will also be in 23.98?
- Is there anything else I must do to ensure proper correspondence between my FCP and Cinema Tools database for my eventual EDL export for the lab?

Sincerely,
-Boris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]