FORUMS: list search recent posts

size counts -- i.e. how to downscale proportionally

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Austin
size counts -- i.e. how to downscale proportionally
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:11:59 am

Hi,
A client needs a 1920 x 1080 project scaled down to 1440 x 1080. To keep it proportionally correct, it sounds like a letterboxing technique... of which I am woefully uninformed. Does anyone have an easy-to-digest answer? ;) Thanks!

quad core tower
FCP 7

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: size counts -- i.e. how to downscale proportionally
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:51:32 am

No it doesn't sound like that... it sounds like HDV. It's still 1080 video when it is that size. The difference between it and 1920 is that the pixels aren't square. They are rectangular. i.e., 1080 HDV is 1440 X 1080.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Steven Austin
on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:05:27 am

So after I bring it into Compressor, what export settings do you suggest? After it's 1440 they want it all all manner of codecs, for phones & streaming, etc.

(This is the part where I start getting wistful about 35mm film... One size fits all!!!)

Thx

"In modern action films, the only people who work up a sweat are the editors." -- Roger Ebert

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:31:16 am

This is a case in which the clients are woefully misinformed. 1440x1080 is ANAMORPHIC HD...squeezed in order to save on data rate...file sizes. FCP and other NLE's will stretch the image out so you see it as if it were 1920x1080...the full dimensions of HD. 1440x1080 would be 4:3 HD, and that doesn't really exist. 1920x1080 is the proper dimensions for HD. Unless the devices they are outputting to will only display 4:3. IN which case you'd be cropping off the sides...cutting them off. Not letterboxing.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steven Austin
on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:39:51 am

Thanks...

"In modern action films, the only people who work up a sweat are the editors." -- Roger Ebert

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 9, 2012 at 4:37:01 am

"(This is the part where I start getting wistful about 35mm film... One size fits all!!!)"

4 perf or 2 perf?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]