FORUMS: list search recent posts

stills animation with alpha channel to qt clip with alpha channel

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jordi robert
stills animation with alpha channel to qt clip with alpha channel
on Mar 8, 2012 at 6:05:50 pm

Hi Guys
I'm editing this music video which is mainly normal footage. An animator has created a few short animations that I want to insert in the music clip over the "normal" footage.
The animation are stills Tiff files with alpha channel, which I converted to PSD files (preserving the alpha channel) in order to be able to import them to FCP (FCP doesn't like Tiff).
So far so good, I've imported the PSD files to FCP and they key perfectly with the footage.
The problem is that I want to manipulate the animation on the time line, moving the animation across the screen etc and obviusly I can not do that with an animation made out of hundreds of PSD stills. So I want (need?) to create a quicktime clip out of those stills preserving the alpha channel. Is that possible?

Thank you

Jordi

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: stills animation with alpha channel to qt clip with alpha channel
on Mar 8, 2012 at 6:55:41 pm

1. Open Quicktime Pro 7 and choose Open Image Sequence
2. Open the folder where you have saved your source files from your DSLR and click on the first image. Click open.
3. Choose the frame rate you want to use to create the video.
4. The first image should open. Go to File>Save As and pick a destination for your final product. Set the codec to ProRes 4444 and make sure the alpha is set to + or to Animation set to Millions color plus.

You can also Nest your psd clips and then you can move them around as one clip. If you have not nested before check out this Final Cut Pro Quick Tips tutorial.

There are even more options but this should help. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 8, 2012 at 8:38:34 pm

I don't know why you say FCp hates .TIF: mine works fine with them. Though for image sequences with alpha, I normally go with .tga's.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:18:05 pm

I prefer to open the tiff sequence in Motion and export ProRes4444 or animation millions + from there.

Return to posts index

jordi robert
on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:51:43 am

Thank you!

Check out my Vimeo page http://vimeo.com/user9949700/videos

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]