FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing via browser *after* video is edited with bad audio?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Headrick
Syncing via browser *after* video is edited with bad audio?
on Mar 8, 2012 at 4:54:27 pm

This is a bit of a complicated question, but I want to try and put it out there and get feedback into the workflow. Maybe there's a solution like I'm hoping there is, or maybe I just need to change the way I approach the problem to begin with. This is not an urgent dilemma, just a question I'd like to resolve.

A note on my normal workflow:
1. Shoot video on Canon 7D, separate audio with H4N.
2. Import 7D video and transcode to ProRes.
3. Import video and audio into FCP project, creating "Raw Media" bins.
4. Create a sequence titled "SYNC" to use for syncing audio and video.
5. Bring video files and separate audio files into timeline, sync up via clapboard sound on the waveforms.
6. Link up the clips once synced, and drag the clip back up into the browser, creating a "Synced media" bin.
7. Edit using the new clips in the browser.

One thing I have noted with this method is that the audio and video are only actually synced up within the FCP browser - no new clip is being created, and I would not be able to start a new project and import the synced up file. That's not a problem for me usually, as the interviews we shoot are usually project specific.

I recently had someone else work on a rough cut of a video for me, and he unfortunately skipped the syncing steps. So what I have in the FCP file is a (very well-edited) video, but with horrible-sounding audio on the interview clips coming straight off of the 7D.

So my question is this: is there a way, within FCP, that I can sync up the video using my normal process, create the new clip in the browser window, and then essentially tell the timeline to use that clip instead of the original video file? It's different from off-lining the clip and reconnecting, because no new file is created to reconnect to with the way I sync up audio. What I basically want to do is reconnect the clips in the timeline to a different clip in the browser. Is that possible? Or is this a flaw in my workflow?

Note: I ended up fixing the problem by syncing up the audio and video, rendering out a lossless Quicktime with the new audio, and reconnecting the video file to that. It works, but now I have two different files in my raw video folder where normally I just have the one. It's not a horrible thing, but it's an anomaly in my file structure and in my workflow that I don't like and would prefer to find a way around in the future.

Hope that makes sense! And I hope this wasn't too long and rambling. I don't post much on here, but I do appreciate all the knowledge and have solved multiple problems in the past by coming here first and searching the forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Syncing via browser *after* video is edited with bad audio?
on Mar 8, 2012 at 5:47:44 pm

Your workflow is flawed. You should be using the MERGE CLIP command. Mark IN points on your audio and video at a sync point, then MERGE the clips to make a new clip. This new clip will be video and separately recorded audio. It won't be a sequence subclip like the way you are doing.

As for synching up AFTER you edit...look at this:

http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/Sync-N-Link/

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robert Headrick
on Mar 8, 2012 at 7:54:12 pm

I like that Merge clip command... I'm not convinced that the final results are any different than what I've been doing though (pretty sure I'm not creating a subclip. After I've lined up the audio and video in my "SYNC" timeline, I link them together, then drag them up into the browser, and it then shows up as its own separate clip, looking identical to what I get when I use the Merge command). However, it definitely does save me a step since I don't have to go through the whole process of dragging to and from the timeline.

Is there any free way within FCP to do what I want to do to sync up after the edit? If it's simply a choice between being more strict with the workflow versus spending $500 to fix the problem, I'll just be more strict with the workflow. As it is, my workaround was only about a 15 minute fix, and most of our projects are no more complicated than this one was. Just looking for a feature that I feel should exist, but maybe it just doesn't.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 8, 2012 at 8:00:59 pm

[Robert Headrick] "Is there any free way within FCP to do what I want to do to sync up after the edit?"

No. That's why someone made an app to do it. If there was a free way to do it, why would someone waste the time and effort on the app?

The app exists because people didn't do the proper workflow, and don't want to manually fix the issue. If you can do it manually, go for it! More money for you. Just pointing out the options.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]