FORUMS: list search recent posts

apple ProRes4444

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mahmud el gendy
apple ProRes4444
on Mar 8, 2012 at 2:58:36 pm

Hello Everyone,
is there is any way that i can capture material in using apple ProRes4444 through sony HDcam HDW2000 and Blackmagic extreme 3D as i always got no input signal while trying to do that.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: apple ProRes4444
on Mar 8, 2012 at 5:49:28 pm

That is overkill for that format. ProRes HQ would be the better choice. HDCAM is 8-bit 3:1:1...choosing ProRes 4444 over HQ would be pointless. Heck, ProRes 422 would be well suited too.

4444, IMHO, it pointless. Why do you want 4444?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

mahmud el gendy
on Mar 9, 2012 at 5:46:09 am

we need to do some color grading on the captured material using Davinci Resolve system .Apple ProResss HQ is too week for that kind of processes so we usually use the uncompressed 8 Bit format which takes a lot of space and i heard that ProRess 4444 would be a good choice for that case.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:00:19 am

ProRes422 is perfectly suited to grading HDCam material in da Vinci. Your source material is 8 bit 3:1:1 as Shane pointed out.

Test it and see. I grade for a living and ProRes4444 will not make the graded image any better as the colour space and bit depth is limited by the source.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:00:33 am

Where do you get the idea that ProRes HQ is too weak?

ProRes 4444 is meant for formats that need an alpha channel, and if you shot 2K or better. Did you shoot 2K or higher?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

mahmud el gendy
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:26:23 am

we already use ProRess HQ in video editing and of course we are satisfied with the quality , but when we try to color it we prefer to use the uncompressed version of the material as we feel it gives us more choices but takes alot of space that is why we start thinking about 4444.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:46:18 am

ProRes 4444 won't get you anything over ProRes 422, or even HQ, with your HDCAM footage, other than larger file sizes.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

mahmud el gendy
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:52:37 am

Thanks a lot for your help , so i need to use the uncompressed material .

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 9, 2012 at 7:05:02 am

No. ProRes is a really good codec. Uncompressed quality but not the uncompressed file sizes. I use it daily for onlining broadcast work. Been using it for years. NatGeo, Discovery, MSNBC, Disney Channel, ABC Family...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

mahmud el gendy
on Mar 9, 2012 at 7:32:42 am

so can i depend on it for color grading ?

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:45:41 pm

My 2 cents: 4444 means you'll be storing uncompressed alpha channel information - and your material doesn't have alpha channels, so that's just a waste of disk space. As your source material didn't store full information for all channels (ie, it's not 444 but 311), storing more color information than the information already present it's also a waste of disk space.
So 422 seems to be the way to go

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:44:40 pm

Absolutely. Most who use FCP, like me, use it all the time for grading. Ive graded and delivered over 100 shows that used ProRes 422 and HQ.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

mahmud el gendy
on Mar 9, 2012 at 4:05:23 pm

Thanks all for your valuable information . i Really appreciate your help.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:23:08 pm

As far as choosing between ProRes 422 and 422 HQ, choose HQ if your content contains a lot of fast action like car racing or sports, etc... lots of movement from frame to frame. Otherwise it too just becomes a larger file without any more information to make things look better.

I've been using Color mostly for grading, and quite frankly 422 Prores rocks with anything you've shot 8 bit or in a color space lower than 422, which, in your case, you have shot 8 bit.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]