FORUMS: list search recent posts

My FCP did not crash

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Brassert
My FCP did not crash
on Mar 7, 2012 at 9:47:03 pm

For the first time in years my FCP has not crashed once in 3 days despite heavy use on multiple projects including a 1080i 1 hour show with multiple layers of footage , graphics, filters and audio. I don't know why it is working so well other than I recently cleaned out some QT components like DnX codecs, Perian and the like. Life is good.

Mac Pro 8 core 2010
Aja Lhe
FCP 7
OS 10.6.8

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
...and Great Relief abounds for you!
on Mar 7, 2012 at 10:23:24 pm

Y'know, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that one or more of those somewhat exotic codecs were indeed the culprits. Some of those can really mess with unexpected portions of an application.

In After Effects-Land, there's a seemingly benign thing called the K-Lite Codec Pack for Windows boxes. People are continually warned off its use, but some still persist. After a fashion, those codecs shut the application down, and even go as far as to force the unlucky user to reinstall EVERYTHING, OS included.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: ...and Great Relief abounds for you!
on Mar 7, 2012 at 10:28:40 pm

No issues with the dnxHD codecs here. It might be to do with repairing disk permissions after altering software if you did do that.

Return to posts index

Michael Brassert
on Mar 7, 2012 at 10:45:32 pm

I also had an obscure app from ecamm.com that was used to record Skype calls. It injects itself in the Quicktime stack to trick things like iChat and can cause instability. I never would have thought of it if it wasn't for a support person (Colin) at Divergent Media that emailed me after I had a crash of the new Scopebox 3 that came out yesterday. He had found it after scanning my crash log. I think it really helped a lot and it was really nice of them to point out some things I had going on that were bad. here is a lot to be said for keeping your edit box clean.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 8, 2012 at 12:07:13 am

I am a great fan of having an edit computer and separate computer for office, web and testing software that might stuff up the main system. Downtime is so much more expensive and frustrating than a second system for all the other computer based things. It is also handy to do off system crunching, file conversions, Log & Transfer etc.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Mar 8, 2012 at 2:31:25 am

I have to ditto that sentiment.

I have a G5 running FCP 6 on OS 10.4 with a Kona 2 card in it (works just as it did 8 years ago), and a 8 core intel running 10.6.8 on two partitions - one for an Io HD, and the other for a Matrox MXO 2 (JEST in case...) and a "play OS" on yet another drive inside that's a testing OS (Lion at the moment). External storage will

On the laptop, Lion with FCP X, and another partition with 10.6.8 running Studio 2009.

iCloud makes all this REALLY Cloudy! LOL...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 8, 2012 at 2:33:24 am

Phew Jerry. That's a lot of passwords to remember

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: My FCP did not crash
on Mar 8, 2012 at 4:22:13 am

That's too bad you've had trouble before. I've used FCP for 12 years and I'm extremely surprised when it crashes. One of the most stable apps around.

Can't say that for FCP X that freezes every 3-4 minutes on both of my systems- 2006 Mac Pro & 2011 iMac. Could be the Matrox or Blackmagic beta drivers. Actually it's pretty good on the BM drivers. The Matrox ones are crud.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]