FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues converting Red RAW files to ProRes422HQ

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Alexopoulos
Issues converting Red RAW files to ProRes422HQ
on Mar 7, 2012 at 6:22:51 pm

I've never dealt with RED raw files before and am trying to use After effects to convert them to ProRes422HQ. I am having a problem with a 10 minute shot - The files seem to be broken up in segments when I look at the folder I was given. But when I pull in the first .R3D file it seems the whole 10 minute clip lines up in my timeline. When I render it out all I get is the first 3 minutes of the clip. I suspect that it needs the other clips but when I bring those into AE each one of those shows up as duplicate of the first segment. Th problem is I don't know how to piece together the segments?

I am basically trying to convert all these RAW red clips to 1920x1080 ProRes HQ 422 clips so that I can edit with them. Is AE the wrong way to go about this - should I use the red cine program of FCP? I was told AE renders faster... Anyway, I've been looking around for answers and I have a deadline so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Issues converting Red RAW files to ProRes422HQ
on Mar 7, 2012 at 8:49:33 pm

If you are editing in FCP then its usually easier to deal with the Red files either transcoding them with the log and transfer tool in FCP.
Or using the RedCine X tool which you can download free from the Red website.

In order to use the log and transfer tool or to get RedCine you must download and install the files you need available here https://www.red.com/support/all/downloads

FCP Studio Installer adds the ability to transcode via L&T

RedCineX converts to QT independently of FCP

The file structure as recorded by the camera must be complete for this to work.

Its possible you have files on a PC formatted Fat 32 drive which could be why you are seeing what sounds like spanned files.

As long as you have everythig as recorded you should be OK - if the files have been removed from the original folders you may have problems.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

George Alexopoulos
on Mar 8, 2012 at 5:00:40 pm

Thank you Neil. I was given all the files on a PC formatted drive and I'm on a mac. I Copied everything over and have been trying to work with them. Most of the files have rendered perfectly out of after effects. It is the linger 10 minute shots that are problematic. I'[m gonna download red cine x and see if that helps.

thanks.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Mar 8, 2012 at 8:57:01 pm

Thought it might be a PC drive, the files are broken up into 4gig chunks because of the file size limit of Fat32.
It might be trying both RedCine and the FCP plug in too. FCP is the easier route but RedCine gives lots more options.
There are a few tutorials on Youtube
eg

Hope it works

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]