FORUMS: list search recent posts

are FCP 5 Movie Files (not Project files) compatible in FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reed Thompson
are FCP 5 Movie Files (not Project files) compatible in FCP X?
on Mar 6, 2012 at 8:08:57 pm

hi... i currently edit with FCP 5.04... will be moving up to FCP X very soon and am wondering: will my MOVIE FILES from FCP 5 projects work in FCP X? i understand FCP project files are not backward compatibe w/ FCP X but what about FCP movie files? ... will i be able to import them into X? ... thank you!

Reed Thompson

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: are FCP 5 Movie Files (not Project files) compatible in FCP X?
on Mar 6, 2012 at 8:11:34 pm

Movie files are movie files, they're not associated with the program. Depends what types of files you have, ProRes, H.264, MPEG2, etc and what wrapper, MOV, MP4, MPG, etc. In Quicktime you can use the movie inspector to find out what codec they are, then check that FCPX supports them (it probably does).

Return to posts index

Reed Thompson
on Mar 6, 2012 at 8:23:10 pm

thank you for your reply... and forgive my less than eloquent and/or FCP savvy description here... but these files have the name "final cut pro movie file" in the KIND column of FINDER... and even have the final cut icon representing the file... when i double click them they open up in FCP... im just concerned whether or not my mastered files from past projects will play in FCP X... thanks again.

Reed T.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Mar 6, 2012 at 9:04:25 pm

Don't apologize, I also used the wrong terminology. Videos can be "associated" with a program in that they open in that program. You can right click on your Final Cut Videos and open them in Quicktime no problem. If you want, you can right click on one > get info > and in the Open With section select Quicktime. Then right below that you can click "change all" so that all videos exported out of FCP open with Quicktime.

Return to posts index

Reed Thompson
on Mar 6, 2012 at 10:15:47 pm

wow, very cool... wasn't aware of the change all feature. thank you again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]