FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intel ICore I7 FCP Workflow questions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elaine Trotter
Intel ICore I7 FCP Workflow questions
on Mar 6, 2012 at 5:55:45 pm

Client arrived with project playback problems, weird frames showing up on QT exports etc. Was cut on varying machines with lots of file managment problems. In sorting out and looking for best practices have some questions.

1. Is internal drive of intel Core i7 new mac, 8 gb ram fast enough to play and edit 1920x1080 files? (edit on FCP 7)

2. Are 2 firewire 800 drives daisy chained off the thunderbolt connection fast enough to play and edit 1920x1080 files? If so how about 3 firewire 800 drives daisy chained?

3. Client has some files on desktop of this machine - 1920x1080 imported into project. My response is to put no files for project on desktop - any other comments?

4. Client has exported QT's of exported sections and reimported, done this round 2 to 3 times for some sections. Is this a lossy methodology? (I think so)

Thanks, ET

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Intel ICore I7 FCP Workflow questions
on Mar 6, 2012 at 6:43:57 pm

[Elaine Trotter] "1. Is internal drive of intel Core i7 new mac, 8 gb ram fast enough to play and edit 1920x1080 files? (edit on FCP 7)"

Absolutely...perfectly fine. But 1920x1080 is not a file type...it is a dimension. Are the files UNCOMPRESSED? ProRes? H.264? That is what is mainly important.

[Elaine Trotter] "2. Are 2 firewire 800 drives daisy chained off the thunderbolt connection fast enough to play and edit 1920x1080 files? If so how about 3 firewire 800 drives daisy chained?"

Firewire into a Thunderbolt connector? Is that possible? Is an adapter in the mix here? And again, what FORMAT of 1920x1080? I can play DVCPRO HD, ProRes and DNxHD just fine off a FW800 drive. Uncompressed...no way. H.264...shouldn't be used in editing at all. ANd I suspect that is what is happening...someone trying to edit a format FCP isn't designed to edit.

[Elaine Trotter] "3. Client has some files on desktop of this machine - 1920x1080 imported into project. My response is to put no files for project on desktop - any other comments?"

ALWAYS put assets used in your project onto an external drive, and into a folder clearly marked for that project. Good organization is KEY when editing. Having files strewn about the system is so bad, I cannot tell you how bad it is. BAD.

[Elaine Trotter] "4. Client has exported QT's of exported sections and reimported, done this round 2 to 3 times for some sections. Is this a lossy methodology? (I think so)"

Depends on the codec used. If ProRes, it hold up to about 8 generations of doing this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Elaine Trotter
Re: Intel ICore I7 FCP Workflow questions
on Mar 26, 2012 at 7:47:11 pm

Thanks Shane. Files are mostly ProRes, however there are lots of DV legacy assets in the mix.

They used h264, but are all being pulled from the edit now.

Elaine

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]