FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 out of memory, plus codec errors?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anthony Faulkner
FCP 7 out of memory, plus codec errors?
on Mar 6, 2012 at 8:30:06 am

I am editing a 720P60 promo shot on an EX3, on a pro res 422 seq set to YUV in high precision.

I have some composited stuff and some picture in picture. Also using Looks for colour correction, and some vignetting.

I have been getting codec not found, out of memory errors and crashing on trying to render, only the Composite sections.

It won't play properly in full res.

I have a 2.8Ghz 8 core mac with 14gb ram

It has given me no trouble for 2 years until this project.

Do i need to upgrade my memory? or is the problem elsewhere.

Thanks for any advice.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: FCP 7 out of memory, plus codec errors?
on Mar 6, 2012 at 12:11:30 pm

Using any media that isn't ProRes? LIke stills, or other computer generated files? Could be the plugins. Might try a section sans the 3rd party plugin filters. If you can render when they aren't present, try reinstalling them or updating them from the manufacturer's site. Sure sounds like a filter corruption or some such...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Mar 6, 2012 at 1:51:17 pm

i have had simmilar problems with long form shows, with lots of stills and heavy grading. This recently worked for me, no sure why. Try changing the video processing settings on the timeline to 8bit YUV rather than 10. And also try rendering in sections. That way you can isolate the problem clips

thanks
nick

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Mar 6, 2012 at 2:38:46 pm

Watch the size of the stills you are using, do not go over 4000 total pixels or FCP will give you the same errors you are describing. Re-scale the pictures in Photoshop using the IMAGE/Image Size. Add the Width and Height measured in pixels to get the total pixel count.

Return to posts index

anthony Faulkner
on Mar 7, 2012 at 1:23:18 am

THanks for the replies guys.

I have some tifs as well but they are all resized to be at 100%

Ironically just after I posted my original post it ran right through without errors... It just seems to be random as to when it is going to object..... (Like right as I am now posting - dammit!)

I think you are right about filters as I am using some 3rd party filters for the compositing and due to the poor lighting in the shoot there are a few of them...

Oh well... maybe time to ask my boss for a new computer, this one has been my faithful slave since 08.... :-)

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Mar 7, 2012 at 2:00:17 pm

The next time you use stills, TIFs, JPGs, Etc., look at their information in the FCP Browser. Change the View/Browser Items to List, then scroll over to see the Frame Size column. There you can add the two numbers to get the total pixel count for the image. It doesn't matter if it is 100% in the motion tab, if it is over 4000 pixels then FCP will have problems with it.

Have fun, keep editing!

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

Madison Premo
on Apr 29, 2012 at 4:03:36 am

My frame size is fine. This 'Out of Memory' error is just getting worse and worse and NOW crashing FCP altogether.

I am not doing anything I haven't done before; footage codec is the same, shot with the same camera - everything. It just seems really random that it is doing this.

I've tried removing the stills, I've tried changing the sequence settings from h.264 to Apple Pro Res.

Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 29, 2012 at 5:06:17 am

Without info on what your codecs, frame sizes, sequence settings etc are, it is hard to say. The fact that you mention H264 makes me wonder of that is what you are trying to edit.

Just search for H264 on this forum and you will see why this is probably your major issue.

Return to posts index

Stephen Mark
on Jul 6, 2012 at 9:12:02 pm

I'm getting these messages upon opening a 90 minute feature with HDCAM footage being cut into an Apple Pro Res 1080 sequence. No stills or filters but some keys and speed changes. If I keep clicking the OK button, the error warnings go away and I can work on the sequence. However I encounter these oddities -- which may or may not be related to the codec error: 1. replace edit jumps the playhead about 20 seconds behind where I intend it to go i.e. the replacement function is essentially useless. 2. When ripple trimming clips in an area of the movie where several of the tracks are empty, I later discover that clips occupying those tracks minutes downstream from where I was working have been thrown out of sync. 3. Some trim functions that involve trimming by number -- such as typing in a +x frames and hitting enter will in fact add again about 20 seconds to the clip. 4. Dragging quickly through the timeline will cause crashing.

I am not typically a final cut editor and came to this forum looking for answers about the codec error. But if anyone who knows what that means knows whether it may account for this dysfunctional behavior, I'd very much appreciate the feedback.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]