FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for Deinterlacing for Vimeo

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jon smitherton
Workflow for Deinterlacing for Vimeo
on Mar 6, 2012 at 12:50:37 am

Hi guys,

Am cutting a doco at the moment with a variety of sources - HDV, DV, progressive shutterstock video and stills. I'm working in a ProRes SD NTSC Anamorphic timeline.

I have 2 delivery formats: 1 - a SD Digibeta and 2 - a video for Vimeo.
Both have got equal priority.

Now I am wondering which way to go.

At the moment I am cutting in a interlaced timeline - if I cut in a progressive timeline I lose resolution when I de-interlace without doing the half-mix field trick. (as this would be too time consuming for an hour doco with deadlines)

Now I've been doing some experiments with compressor de-interlacing with frame controls and am not happy with the text quality.

It is making me think I should be doing it the other way round - cutting in a progressive timeline and dropping in an interlaced timeline for Digi output.

Has anybody had any great results with text and video from interlaced sources with compressor without using Fieldskit?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jon.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Workflow for Deinterlacing for Vimeo
on Mar 6, 2012 at 1:17:33 am

As you have interlaced material and a digi beta broadcast deliverable, I would stay with an interlaced sequence.

To solve the title issue, you could export just the textless from a copy of the final, use Compressor to create a deinterlace QT and then drop that back into a progressive sequence and add back the titles. Export that progressive sequence for the Vimeo compression.

A short test should indicate if that helps with both image and title quality

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Mar 6, 2012 at 4:00:54 am

Thanks Michael.

I suppose I could put the Text on V4 say (would I have to do this for graphics as well?), then nest video in a interlaced video sequence, de-interlace and change the original sequence to a de-interlaced one.

Only thing is that I've got different field orders - upper,lower and none...if I remember properly - de-interlacing effects the progressive footage and gives it jaggies.

Unless anyone has got a failsafe compressor setting, I might have to get fieldskit.

Thanks,
Jon.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 6, 2012 at 4:30:41 am

Don't nest and deinterlace in FCP. You get a better result doing the deinterlace in Compressor to a self contained QT file and bringing it back into a progressive sequence. Then add your text. This should also minimise rendering.

Return to posts index

Julian Engels
on Mar 6, 2012 at 9:43:50 am

Hey Jon,

we shoot a lot on DigiBeta interlaced and output to web formats. So we always have to deinterlace. We do this with compressor. To reduce render time while maintaining quality, we set the sequence to progressive and send the final edit to compressor for deinterlacing. We found that render time is half when field dominance set to "none" compared to render times of an interlaced sequence I can't see any difference in quality, when using this method. If you do it this way, you have to make sure to set all the frame modes of each clip to what it was actually shot (DigiBeta clips to interlaced odd, HDV/DV to interlaced even, progressive material obviously to progressive etc.) Text overlays are automatically set to progressive (since sequence is progressive) and therefore will not be deinterlaced and should look nice in final output. On the other hand, if you set the field dominance of a progressive clip to interlaced it will look awful in final output, same with field dominance to a incorrect field (odd/even). With "Edit" -> "Object Setting" (from memory) you can check and correct if you have to.

Hope that helps,

Julian

Return to posts index

Russ Carlin
on Mar 6, 2012 at 1:03:19 pm

Hi all,

When you say send it to compressor to deinterlace, are you just meaning that you're compressing it to whatever output you need and checking a deinterlace box at the same time, or do you sent it their just to be deinterlaced?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, or if it's a stupid question!

Carrrrrrr Carrrrrrrrrrrrr

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Mar 7, 2012 at 9:22:13 pm

Hi Guys,

De-interlacing reduces resolution especially with the de-interlace filter in FCP - it halves the vertical resolution. Watch on a broadcast monitor when you apply the filter. It is also a stylistic decision as the motion is not full - this may or may not be desired.

To get full resolution with de- interlacing duplicate the clip on top - so same clip on V1 and V2 - then add shift fields +1 to one and shift fields -1 to the other with a 50% opacity on the top clip.

For this reason - too much work for this technique and wanting to deliver a Digibeta of the film for broadcast - we decided not to de-interlace. Which leaves us with my original post - how to de-interlace with text looking good.

Michael, thanks have been doing some experiments with RE:Visions field kit and it looks great. Thanks for the tip though!

Cheers,
Jon

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 7, 2012 at 10:32:16 pm

Jon. the Nattress deinterlace plugins do a better job than the manual clip stacking that you describe. They blend fields with control and do not just throw resolution away. I prefer that method to Compressor but that is because I can tweak individual shots with the plugins, but a lot more time consumming and render making.

I agree about the need to balance the look of deinterlace with motion smoothness.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]