FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD cam footage - Jerky and BADLY INTERLACED on TX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Granzier
DVD cam footage - Jerky and BADLY INTERLACED on TX
on Mar 5, 2012 at 5:28:38 pm

Hi Guys

Ok I have on where that has left me completely stumped....

I have just completed an edit for television - PAL 4:3
The show was shot in 2 format - DVCAM & P2

I am editing on a standard DV Pal timeline and sequence setting.
Now I have a DSR 11 deck that i captured the DVcam footage on to log and capture.
I preview on a analogue monitor that is played out via Firewire to the DSR and video out to the monitor.
When I play my timeline live, its perfect.... NO PROBLEMO

Yet on Transmission the footage looks like its been put through a shredder - Torn and hectically interlaced. Even on left to right movements its almost double edged..... WHY ?

I did notice that the DVDcam footage gets a shift fields filter added in the time line.

If i take the filter off..... It jerks badly on playback on the analogue monitor....

Any ideas on that ???

Thanks

William

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: DVD cam footage - Jerky and BADLY INTERLACED on TX
on Mar 5, 2012 at 5:33:30 pm

Field order wrong?

Return to posts index

Will Granzier
on Mar 5, 2012 at 5:41:02 pm

Thats what I thought, but its a standard setting on FCP !!! DV PAL -
How would you set the field order - DV is normally LOWER field ?? Thats what its set to

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 5, 2012 at 10:12:27 pm

So what did you deliver Tape of file and if file - what codec and field order? Yes PAL DV is lower. DV is the only lower codec in PAL which is really dumb. Sequence settings for DV are lower and no shift fields filter on the camera originals. I presume the shift fields filter is happening on the P2 footage.

If you have the shift fields on the DV footage and the sequence is lower then that is the problem. If you are not seeing it then there is a monitoring problem.Try setting your canvas to 100% scale and it will show interlacing

Return to posts index

Will Granzier
on Mar 6, 2012 at 3:27:36 am

Hey Michael

Thnx for your input. It was delivered on digital format. Weirdly the P2 footage was fine. It was the DVcam footage that was the issue...... Why does FCP add the shift fields filter then ??? Really gets to me...

JUst checked another edit - shot with NX5 Cam shot in HD. Also add a shift fields filter !

Ok so you say ....canvas to 100% scale.... Tried that and you see the interlacing ..... But its minimal....

On TV its like 2 fingers wide..... On Canvas its like hairline

???????

Return to posts index

Will Granzier
on Mar 6, 2012 at 3:59:02 am

Hi Mike

Just a bit of feedback;..... I took the shift fields filter off.... It then jerks quite badly on analogue monitor but is fine on the LCD from the Mac.

If I add a deinterlacer its fine ???? But it worries me that it looked fine even with the shift fields filter added ??

Thnx

Return to posts index

Will Granzier
on Mar 5, 2012 at 5:42:45 pm

And thinking of it, you shut pick it up on the analogue playback !!! It will standout like a sore thumb !
But it doesn't show !

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 5, 2012 at 9:16:47 pm

Did you give them a tape, or a file? If you gave them a tape, that plays back fine on your DSR-11 and SD monitor, then it's 99% chance it's their issue. If you gave them a file, it very well could be their issue too if they had to convert some sort of file they've never had before, or in a while. Is this a HD broadcast?

Return to posts index

Will Granzier
on Mar 6, 2012 at 4:20:11 am

Hi Bret

Its an SD tx.... I sent the file up as a digital file . They requested it in H.264.

I found out a few things here... It would appear that certain DV footage that was logged and captured adds a shift field filter... And its those shots that have the hectic jagged look. I just had a guy shoot Sony NX cam HD and it does the same thing.

ON analogue it looks all goos and well my side with the shift fields on...
Take it of.... Its has almost Progressive 25 look
I then took a deinterlacer to it.... And it now seems smooth.... Pretty weird it say...

The footage was imported on the DVpal Codec via DSR 11
The strange thing to me is that it does it on NX5 footage that was shot on PAL as well.....And thats
Logged and Transferred as its shot on Card !!

Not sure why FCP wud feel that it needs to add a shift fields filter to footage !!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 6, 2012 at 4:28:59 am

Something weird with your monitoring perhaps. The DV footage should be tagged as lower and the shift fields shouldn't be on any DV footage if in a DV sequence with lower field set correctly.

So check the files, the filters and the sequence. I suspect also that the clips may be flagged as upper. If so that is wrong and all the DV clips should be changed. The P2 should be upper and shift fields filter on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]