FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems exporting from timeline that resolve when exporting via quicktime conversion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Stickney
Problems exporting from timeline that resolve when exporting via quicktime conversion
on Mar 4, 2012 at 7:05:14 am

Hi all,

I recently started having issues when I export straight from the timeline. The resulting video can best be described as glitchy.
(The picture jumps in and out, color is off for a couple of frames here and there.) I've experienced this in several different projects in various codecs
and frame rates so I'm guessing the problem is something intrinsic to the FCP program. (or my settings)
I was briefly worried that it might be my graphics card that was causing the issues but then I found
if I export using quicktime conversion, all the issues resolve themselves.
While this workaround is getting me by short-term, obviously I need the ability to export cleanly from the timeline.

I'm considering wiping FCP from my drive and reinstalling. But before I go through that process I'd love to hear if anyone has
and idea about what might be happening and a better way to resolve it.

Thanks so much in advance.

Best,

Charlie

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Problems exporting from timeline that resolve when exporting via quicktime conversion
on Mar 4, 2012 at 5:41:37 pm

Does this sequence also have mixed codecs and frame rates? One of the intrinsic issues with FCP 7 (and earlier versions) is that it doesn't do mixed frame rates well. Codecs it does better with, if you use a ProRes sequence.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Charlie Stickney
Re: Problems exporting from timeline that resolve when exporting via quicktime conversion
on Mar 4, 2012 at 5:58:10 pm

Shane, thanks for the reply. I follow your blog and daily on twitter. You're always an amazing source for information.

It's actually a problem I'm having with various projects. One incorporates a lot of different codecs (including HDV)
but I've have the same problem exporting from another timeline that I believe was straight pro-res

(all the clips were Apple XDCAM HD422 1080p24 (50 Mb/s CBR), 1920 x 1080, Millions
24-bit Integer (Little Endian), 8 Channels, 48.000 kHz)

It's something that just started happening as I've been exporting from FCP 7 for years and have never had this issue.
I don't know if that points to a possible hardware issue, or if FCP 7 could just become buggy overnight.

Return to posts index

Charlie Stickney
on Mar 4, 2012 at 6:15:54 pm

Whoop, I just realized that the codec I posted wasn't pro res. I was reading the 422 too quickly.

If it is a problem with the codecs is there any way to resolve it without transcoding before ingest?

And is there a reason why this would spontaneously start happening or is it just a "joy" of FCP
that to this point I'd been fortunate enough not to experience.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 4, 2012 at 8:31:22 pm

Try XDCAM in a ProRes sequence. GOP formats tend to cause issues with longer sequences, or larger projects.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Charlie Stickney
on Mar 4, 2012 at 9:34:11 pm

And that fixed it.

Thank you. I hope you know how much help you've given both the posting and lurking masses over the years.
Looking forward to more tweets and blogs in the future.

Best,

Charlie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]