FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I keep the highest resolution in a 4x3 full screen project, originally shot in 16x9 HD?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Chavinsky
How can I keep the highest resolution in a 4x3 full screen project, originally shot in 16x9 HD?
on Mar 3, 2012 at 11:44:47 pm

I shoot my projects in HDV 1440x1080 (which.. I guess has rectangular pixels so its like 16x9? as I understand...), which I then use in an SD sequence that is full screen 4x3 in order to fit our projectors.

Even though the highest resolution for out projectors is 480x640, I want to save my project for portfolio use in the highest resolution I can.

Also.. I'm confused. I'm using a Sony Z1U. The ratio of 1440x1080 is a 4x3 ratio. Because of rectangular pixels it comes out as 16x9. So what is the ratio I should put on the sequence to make it 4x3 without losing any resolution? 1080 would stay the same.. what about width?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: How can I keep the highest resolution in a 4x3 full screen project, originally shot in 16x9 HD?
on Mar 4, 2012 at 12:40:29 am

Lots of confusion over HDV, and using anamorphic to get a 16:9 image. In standard def non square pixels are the way to get a full height 16:9 image as SD frame sizes are 4:3.

In HD 16:9 is the native format and is often acheived by using thin raster techniques like 1440 x 1080. Final Cut automatically handles this and produces a 16:9 image. In SD you have to tick the anamorphic button in the sequence settings to flag a 16:9 image and display it in FCP properly. In HD you do not tick the anamorphic box with HDV footage.

To get a SD 4:3 image you should edit in HD, and then make your 4:3 SD file in Compressor by cropping the sides. You can reposition and even keyframe move the original to best frame for the crop. Use the guides in FCP and the 14:9 title safe marker is almost exactly the 4:3 crop point.

In Compresssor the cropping settings are in the geometry tab and here you set both the crop, square pixels and the final frame size in SD you want. When you have set this go to the frame controls, turn them on and select resize best. This will give a better result that letting FCP rescale by dropping the final sequence into an SD timeline and rendering

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
Re: How can I keep the highest resolution in a 4x3 full screen project, originally shot in 16x9 HD?
on Mar 6, 2012 at 4:42:49 am

Great answer Michael !

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 6, 2012 at 6:02:52 am

[Michael Gissing] "In HD you do not tick the anamorphic box with HDV footage.
"

In fact, you never tick the anamorphic box with any variety of HD footage. The anamorphic checkbox is strictly for widescreen SD codecs and widescreen SD sequences, and never HD of any flavor.

Michael knows this, of course, I just wanted to emphasize that the rule is very much black and white, with no gray area to cause confusion.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]