FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDCAM SR 5.1 Surround Sound Question.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reuben Fink
HDCAM SR 5.1 Surround Sound Question.
on Mar 3, 2012 at 6:15:48 am

On monday I'm taking a HDCAM SR tape in that needs dubbing. The client wants a prores version and a version on DVD for festival entry. It's supposed to have 5.1 surround. Normally I'm used to having all 6 stems named and ready for setup in compressor but this is a little different for me. I've never had the surround sound imbedded in the file I received. How do I know which channel is which since they are not labeled? I do not have a surround sound system to test it. Any ideas. I just want to be prepared before walking into the suite and burning HDCAM deck time.

Thanks

OSX 10.6.4
Equipment: 2.8 ghz 8 core Intal Mac Pro, 20 gig of ram
Aps: CS5 Production Bundle, FCP Suite 2, Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: HDCAM SR 5.1 Surround Sound Question.
on Mar 3, 2012 at 6:23:54 am

In qt pro you can set a trait for each channel. I.e. left, right, center, etc. however I always just export discreet tracks out of the movie and encode individually. I've had many sets of mislabeled audio channels so I always check the mapping on a surround sound system.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 3, 2012 at 10:39:44 pm

Unfortunately for you there is no one standard for track assignment. The tape should be labelled.

Likely possibilities are -
1=Left
2=Center
3=Right
4=LS
5=RS
6=Sub
or
1=Left
2=Right
3=LS
4=RS
5=Center
6=Sub

Have a look at the credits and see who did the sound post and email or ring them to have the track layout clarified

Return to posts index

Reuben Fink
on Mar 4, 2012 at 8:29:06 am

Thanks for the advice. I'm in the process of trying to get ahold of the sound mixer. Should the dub include a stereo mix on tracks 7 & 8? I imagine if I try and mix down the 5.1 to stereo it wouldn't sound right would it?

OSX 10.6.4
Equipment: 2.8 ghz 8 core Intal Mac Pro, 20 gig of ram
Aps: CS5 Production Bundle, FCP Suite 2, Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 5, 2012 at 12:07:35 am

A proper stero fold down mix should also be on the tape. Again it should be clearly labelled. Stereo mix is most commonly tracks 1&2.

Do not just do a foldown yourself. There is a formula for foldowns but it should be done with proper monitoring and with the ability to do subtle trimming of surround and center channels.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]