FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Log and Transfer manually or compressor problem?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Say
FCP Log and Transfer manually or compressor problem?
on Mar 1, 2012 at 11:07:49 am

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but my question is long winded and refers to compressor too.

I am converting the H.264 footage from a Nikon D7000 in compressor to prores. In the compressor viewer, where you can see the "before and after" I've noticed a significant difference between the two. The converted prores (no matter which type) comes out brighter and less defined. I thought this may be a glitch in compressor so compressed the footage and compared the two and there is a definite difference. I tried changing gamma settings and adjusting the brightness in compressor but it just doesn't make it the same and I don't think I should need to be doing that anyway. I thought the difference would be negligible.

I am aware that Nikon have not yet provided a log and transfer plugin for FCP (which is a massive bug bear...but anyway). I have read that if you just try to reconnect media to the original footage, unless it's from the 0 timed code point it will not connect properly, basically because it hasn't been logged and transferred - it has just been imported.

So essentially my questions are:
Is there something I can do in compressor to make the footage convert so it looks pretty much the same as the original? I appreciate there may be a small difference, but what I'm getting at the moment is unacceptable.
Or is there a way I can manually log and transfer the footage so I can reconnect easily, as I would with the canon plug in?

Any help would be great.
Many thanks
Ryan

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP Log and Transfer manually or compressor problem?
on Mar 1, 2012 at 10:31:24 pm

The obvious question is what codec are you converting to from the H264? Also are you comparing the footage on an external monitor or just the viewer screen in Compressor?

Return to posts index

Ryan Say
on Mar 1, 2012 at 10:45:50 pm

Converting to prores 422 (lt)
Looking at it in the compressor viewer on the mac screen.

Interestingly I just tried it with some canon 5d footage and there is no problem in the viewer or the conversion. It looks the same.
So it would seem that the problem is actually with the nikon h.264 mov footage or the way compressor deals with it.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 1, 2012 at 11:24:15 pm

Yes there may be something about the Nikon and how it is encoding the H264. No problem with your methodology.

Return to posts index

Ryan Say
on Mar 2, 2012 at 8:25:02 am

thanks for the confirmation that i wasn't going mad.

you don't know of anyway to check a mov file to see how it has been encoded do you?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 2, 2012 at 5:07:31 pm

It might be worth contacting Nikon and see if they have a known gamma issue. Also you could try converting with MPEGStreamclip (which is free) and see if it does the same thing

Return to posts index

Ryan Say
on Mar 3, 2012 at 12:33:47 pm

yeah i tried in mpegSC with similar result.

I'm going to speak to nikon.

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]