FORUMS: list search recent posts

custom aspect ratio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kelly armstrong
custom aspect ratio
on Feb 29, 2012 at 6:31:02 pm

Hi there,

I need to work with a custom aspect ratio in Final Cut, but I can't figure out how to do it.

The video is 840x524

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: custom aspect ratio
on Feb 29, 2012 at 6:44:46 pm

You have to stay on PAR and stick with a standard frame size. If you need a custom aspect ratio, do it in After Effects.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 29, 2012 at 7:02:15 pm

I'd be interested in knowing why you need this aspect ratio/ picture resolution. Custom display?

At any rate, it is going to cause all kinds of havoc inside FCP.-- The reason why we have 720x480 as a basic format in DV is because it is an even expression within hexadecimal processing. When you start introducing all kinds of uneven operands, the computations go crazy. Don't bother trying to send it to COLOR, for example. That isn't going to work.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 29, 2012 at 8:29:27 pm

Where are you reading this 850x524? In quicktime? If so, recommend bringing the footage into FCP -- a temporary project will do -- then looking at the horizontal & vertical resolution in the FCP Browser.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

kelly armstrong
on Feb 29, 2012 at 9:33:09 pm

Maybe After Effects is reading it incorrectly...

The original video is an h264 .mov which I brought into After Effects. Before I brought into after effects it was in perfect HD quality and looked like it was 1280x720. However, when I brought it into after effects it gave me that aspect ratio and blurred the video massively.

I then brought it into Final cut and it looked alright but had big black bars on the side. Unfortunately I've left work now, and can't remember what aspect ratio it said in Final cut...

Does this make any sense?

Also is there a way to check a video's aspect ratio in quicktime before I bring it into editing software? That's probably a really stupid question, but I tried to find it in quicktime and couldn't.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 1, 2012 at 3:43:11 pm

It may have a lot to do with your VERSION of AE. Prior to AE 10, H.264 was slow death to AE, much as it is for FCP. The best practice is to convert that H.264 to a different codec.

For FCP the go-to codec is ProRes 422, but you may have to use a different one if AE isn't on the same machine as FCP.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Mar 1, 2012 at 7:34:15 pm

Bring the clip into FCP, on the clip in the browser, right-click >> Make multi clip sequence. On the clip in the timeline, right-click >>collapse multi clip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]