FORUMS: list search recent posts

16:9 ratio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ Carlin
16:9 ratio
on Feb 29, 2012 at 12:09:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm editing some footage at the moment in 16:9 ratio and was just having a look at my settings and saw that anamorphic isn't ticket. I ticked it (just to see what happened really!) and obviously the picture in my viewer squashed in horizontally.

When wanting to use anamorphic, is it down to how you shoot the footage? Or is it decided when you upload the footage?

Sorry for this, i'm kinda guessing this is a really basic question!

Russ

Carrrrrrr Carrrrrrrrrrrrr

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: 16:9 ratio
on Feb 29, 2012 at 1:14:41 pm

It's shot anamorphically, so that's when it's made. You can turn on the anamorphic checkbox after you've captured though, so it doesn't really matter which way you capture it. but if it's anamorphic it will be 16:9 and not distorted when that checkbox is on.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 29, 2012 at 1:56:22 pm

[Russ Carlin] "I'm editing some footage at the moment in 16:9 ratio and was just having a look at my settings and saw that anamorphic isn't ticket. I ticked"

HD is 16x9 and NOT anamorphic, it's the natural aspect ratio. Anamorphic is most often used trying to squeeze a 16x9 picture out of the 3x4 area of a Standard Def image.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 29, 2012 at 2:02:45 pm

[Herb Sevush] "HD is 16x9 and NOT anamorphic"

Not true. It's all based on the camera sensor. The P2 camera I have, HPX-500 has a native sensor of 960x720. When dropped into FCP, it detects the footage and stretches it to 1280x720.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Russ Carlin
on Feb 29, 2012 at 2:21:52 pm

I used a JVC 750e.

Is letterbox the same as anamorphic?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:59:19 pm

Nope. Letterbox is, well, lets just say a very poor choice. There is no reason to ever shoot letterbox. Letterbox means you simply decided to record 2 bars of black instead of actual picture. So, instead of squeezing 854x480 into a 720x480 space, you squeezed it into 720x360 space. Now, to play back on a 1920x1080 screen it has to enlarge the image 300% to fill the screen instead of 225% (plus some horizontal stretching).

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:09:42 pm

[Russ Carlin] "Is letterbox the same as anamorphic?"

Letterbox is a description of what happens when you put a complete 16 x 9 formatted picture into a 3 x 4 formatted frame (or anytime you put a mismatched format into another without cropping) - the result is a frame with black on top and bottom to fill out the image. Your other 2 options when dealing with mismatched formats is to center crop, that is just use the center 3x4 area of the original 16x9 image and get rid of the rest, or to squeeze it anamorphically. This last choice means you squeeze the image while encoding and then unsqueeze it during playback. This uses the whole 720x480 area of the Standard Def frame to playback the 16x9 image. It's much higher quality than letterboxing but requires both encoder and playback to be able and aware that you are going anamorphic.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:49:52 am

If a camera records letterbox, and doesn't call it 16:9 or anamorphic, then it's just that. It records it letterboxed believe it or not. It's the most moronic thing I've ever seen. When you're talking cameras, letterbox is not the same as anamorphic. When you're talking playback, letterbox can mean two things - the tape was actually recorded with black bars, or it can describe the way 16:9/anamorphic is being displayed on a tv. He was asking about shooting was my understanding.

Return to posts index

Russ Carlin
on Mar 3, 2012 at 2:12:35 pm

Yea that's it, the actual shooting part. My footage is 16:9 but i was just wondering what the anamorphic was all about really!

No need to use it if my footage is 16:9 anyway then?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 29, 2012 at 2:34:00 pm

[Steve Eisen] "The P2 camera I have, HPX-500 has a native sensor of 960x720. When dropped into FCP, it detects the footage and stretches it to 1280x720."

DVCPRO HD uses all sorts of tricks to generate a 16x9 image but it's not considered an anamorphic format. If you check your sequence settings you'll see that anamorphic is un-checked.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:54:05 pm

But it isn't anamorphic in the eyes of FCP. It's still just HD. One of the many flavors of HD, but not anamorphic. Anamorphic only applies to SD material in FCP.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 29, 2012 at 6:57:59 pm

You could argue that 1440x1080 was a kind of anamorphosis.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 29, 2012 at 7:16:55 pm

[Joseph Owens] "You could argue that 1440x1080 was a kind of anamorphosis."

And you would be right. You can also argue that since DVCPRO Hd is 960x720 and stretches out to 1280x720 it's anamorphic as well. These are interesting technical arguments, but the thread was about helping someone figure out what to do and in the world of FCP both of these formats are not anamorphic because they don't use the
anamorphic checkbox in the sequence settings. So when in FCP all HD formats are non anamorphic. And that's not an argument but a simple workable fact.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 2, 2012 at 11:17:28 pm

[Steve Eisen] "Not true. It's all based on the camera sensor. The P2 camera I have, HPX-500 has a native sensor of 960x720. When dropped into FCP, it detects the footage and stretches it to 1280x720."
Slight correction, it's based on the codec on not the sensor.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]