FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import image from Photoshop with alpha channel and shadow?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Dillon
Import image from Photoshop with alpha channel and shadow?
on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:33:49 am

In the old days of Media100 I used to import a Pict file with an alpha channel and shadow and DONE! But now, there is no pict file so I am trying to import a PS file with an alpha channel and shadow. When I do, no shadow.
Also, the sequence it puts it in has messed up settings and I have to go into each image's sequence settings and change to square pixels, etc.
Also, what if I don't want it to automatically import into a sequence? It's only one PS layer!

Can I just import a single PS file with an alpha channel and shadow by itself without being in a sequence? The manual says I have to flatten it in PS, but when I do, no alpha channel!

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Mac Pro 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
8 GB Ram
Blackmagic Decklink Studio 2 Card

Playroom Creative
We are an Orange County Video Production and Marketing company.
http://www.PlayroomCreative.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Stuckey
Re: Import image from Photoshop with alpha channel and shadow?
on Feb 29, 2012 at 9:25:35 am

Not sure about the Alpha layer stuff but...

To retain the shadow (and any other layer effects), have you tried grouping the layers as a smart object before importing into FC?

Also, the setting Motion > Distort > Aspect(?) can help with correcting pixel ratios. Eg: I use +/- 33.33333 to convert anamorphic/square pixels.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Feb 29, 2012 at 1:18:07 pm

Export it as a still image, set the colors to be millions + , and choose either a Tiff or PNG file to carry the alpha.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Feb 29, 2012 at 3:14:00 pm

Take your PhotoShop file (while in PhotoShop) and add a blank layer to the bottom. Select that blank layer. Now, merge the visible layers together and discard any unseen layers. Save as a .png file. Import to FCP. It will come in as a single layer graphic with all of the shadows and effects intact.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:06:24 pm

Ian I'm not sure why everyone is making this so difficult. Andrew is overly complicated, Jerry thinks you're exporting from FCP, and Tom is going old school.

Ignore the whole alpha channel pict things of the past. Hasn't been necessary in years. Just do a save as PNG. That's it. Make sure you don't have a solid in the background. You want to have the checkerboard transparency showing where things are transparent. Most people wouldn't, but because you're still trying to cut the alpha like the old days, you might still be putting black or white in the background layer.

See? Life just got simpler.

Return to posts index

Ian Dillon
on Feb 29, 2012 at 8:21:52 pm

OK. My new friend PNG!

Thanks,
Ian

Mac Pro 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
8 GB Ram
Blackmagic Decklink Studio 2 Card

Playroom Creative
We are an Orange County Video Production and Marketing company.
http://www.PlayroomCreative.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Feb 29, 2012 at 8:41:27 pm

Yeah, what I said... export it as a PNG or Tiff...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:07:59 pm

Old school?! Hey,I'm old. What did you expect? :)

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 2, 2012 at 6:54:15 am

You most certainly did not. You just described how to export a frame FROM FCP with an alpha intact. He was asking how to save a ps file so that it had an alpha channel that would work when IMPORTED into FCP. Make sense?

Return to posts index

Andrew Stuckey
on Mar 1, 2012 at 2:16:31 am

@ Brett. Grouping layers into a smart object is hardly complex. lol.

If you want to work with individual layers of a Photoshop file inside FCP, then smart objects is the way to go to preserve any effects like shadows. Saves you from having to save and export each layer as it's own separate PNG.

But since Ian only wants a single layer/image than yes PNG would be more suitable...note I didn't say less complex ;)

As for the pixel ratio issue, this one IS a little more complex... but at least I offered a solution.

Whether IAN uses individual PNGs or a layered PSD with smart objects, if the pixel ratio of the Photoshop image is not compatible with the pixel ratio of his FCP sequence then it will still be off when he imports it. So he either needs to make an adjustment before or after import.

I prefer making the adjustment in FCP because I can correct one image, then apply the change in bulk to the rest by copying and pasting attributes>distortion.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:07:01 am

He specifically referred to the old days and how easy it was to import an alpha channel pict. He also specified his PROBLEM with the PS files was that he was getting sequences instead of a single file. He also never mentioned having any issues with aspect ratios. However your info on smart objects is great and I'd never thought of that before.

Return to posts index

Andrew Stuckey
on Mar 2, 2012 at 8:55:19 am

Thanks Brett.

[Ian Dillon] "Also, the sequence it puts it in has messed up settings and I have to go into each image's sequence settings and change to square pixels, etc."

Sorry, I took this sentence to mean that he was having trouble with pixel ratios since he had to change elements to square pixels.
Perhaps it meant something else.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]